Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jelleatprotospace

M92

What is the exact value you should store with M92 E... if you are using 5D volumetric slicers? I tried something in the order of 937 as I think i've seen it somewhere, but that is not very scientific.

The bolt on this machine is a recent knurled one (so not hobbed).

So far all math methods of calculating the M92E are quite off.

The M92E is the amount of steps your machine needs per mm of filament. So if you know the diameter of your bolt, the amount of steps the stepper takes per circle, and the gear ratio, then you should be able to calculate it... but you can also use the manual method.

Put a piece of tape on the filament, execute an "G1 E100", measure how much the filament has moved. It should have moved exactly 100mm. If it moved 110, then your M92E is off by 10%: newM92E = oldM92E * 100 / movementInMM;

Put a piece of tape on the filament, execute an "G1 E100", measure how much the filament has moved. It should have moved exactly 100mm. If it moved 110, then your M92E is off by 10%: newM92E = oldM92E * 100 / movementInMM;

I measured the filament length with nozzle off on a cold head (so the filament can move without obstruction) and measuring length is easier that way... no plastic wasted in the process, and I got M92 E865.888, standard new knurled bolt.