Switching from cura 3 to 4 has my first layer massively under extruding on Creality cr-10s, what am I missing now?

jeremycobert

Posted · Switching from cura 3 to 4 has my first layer massively under extruding on Creality cr-10s, what am I missing now?

I have been printing since 2012-ish and started with Pronterface, I moved into Cura around version 2 and have been using version 3. the Yellow part below is printed with version 3.

I installed the latest cura 4.13.1 and setup my machine in the guided setup for a creality cr-10s and controls all work when connected to octoprint.

I started with the default "super quality .12" profile as I did not import any older profiles (I assume they no longer are compatible) I loaded a calibration cube and I get under extrusion on the 1st layer. Its odd, because my left side wiping motion is perfectly flat and sticks, but the skirt has a huge under extrusion and then the parts I print are also massively under extruded.

I have calibrated my bed, extruder and set my bed height perfect at .08 mm gap to the nozzle. The below photo of the yellow part is my last print on version 3, the borwn ones are varying degrees of version 4. I have tried adjusting these settings, but its not much help.

initial layer line width 150%

Skirt brim flow 150%

initial layer flow 150%

The odd thing is my wiping start code line is perfect every time and if a print somehow makes it past the 1st layer, its printed fantastic on layers above 2. I assume I am missing a new setting in version 4 that is preventing me from adjusting the amount of material coming out on layer 1 as its not getting any squishing or over lapping. instead I get small angel hair lines on my first layer.

Any help would be appreciated.

here is the standard start -gcode but I dont see anything odd in it.

M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E5000.00 ;Setup machine max acceleration
M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z10.00 E50.00 ;Setup machine max feedrate
M204 P500.00 R1000.00 T500.00 ;Setup Print/Retract/Travel acceleration
M205 X8.00 Y8.00 Z0.40 E5.00 ;Setup Jerk
M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate
M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

G28 ;Home

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up
G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little