Cura 5.1.0 on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma/20.3 Una (Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa)

jayrugman

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.1.0 on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma/20.3 Una (Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa)

Has anyone been able to get Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.0-linux.AppImageCura (or any cura 5 appimages) to work on Linux Mint 20.2 (UPDATE: I upgraded to Mint 20.3 and still have the same issue with Cura 5)?  Ultimaker_Cura-4.13.1.AppImage works fine. I've scoured the web and haven't found anything recent - for Cura version 5. I'm raelly excited about the new slicer features and want to get it working soon.

Here is the output when I run it from the command line (I get the initial splash screen, then it hangs for a really long time until I cancel):

./Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.0-linux.AppImage                                   
PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py:495: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib and slated for removal in Python 3.12; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
QApplication: invalid style override 'kvantum' passed, ignoring it.
    Available styles: Windows, Fusion
QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
QQmlComponent: Component is not ready
^C

The logs look like there are many missing dependencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't app images supposed to contain the dependencies? At any rate, I see a ModuleNotFoundError saying "No module named 'PyQt5'." Is this a Python module?

When I try to install this with pip3, it looks like I already have it:

pip3 install PyQt5       
Requirement already satisfied: PyQt5 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (5.14.1)

I guess the appimage isn't using my local python modules or it's a module for something else? If so, what? 

I also see a number of plugin import errors. Are there plugins I should remove from within Cura 4 so I can successfully start version 5?

I have attached error and warning logs from /home/my-user/.local/share/cura/5.1/cura.log  and can post more upon request.

Thanks a Ton for any help!!

Update

I've updated my system to Linux Mint 21, Vanessa, which is like Ubuntu jammy, and I still have the same issue, this time with Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.0-linux-modern.AppImage

appImages  ./Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.0-linux-modern.AppImage                                          
PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py:495: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib and slated for removal in Python 3.12; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
QApplication: invalid style override 'kvantum' passed, ignoring it.
    Available styles: Windows, Fusion
QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
QQmlComponent: Component is not ready

cura_errors.log

Edited by jayrugman
I updated OS

• jayrugman changed the title to Cura 5.1.0 on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma/20.3 Una (Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa)
    • 1 month later...
    Posted · Cura 5.1.0 on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma/20.3 Una (Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa)

Hello i have exactly the same problem on Manjaro up to date.

I have found this but don't help me :

https://forum.qt.io/topic/126822/cura-does-not-start-qqmlapplicationengine-failed-to-load-component

And it seems that Ultimaker have deal with this.. but nothing work since Cura any of the 5xxx or 5 beta version..

And others and many other post but any help me..

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18024207/qt-warning-qqmlcomponent-component-is-not-ready

https://forum.qt.io/topic/54517/solved-qqmlcomponent-component-is-not-ready

I have see same problem here.. so tell on the post:

Hello One user of the Manjaro Team have reply to me and give me the trick thats works...

many thanks again.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cura-version-5-appimage-failed-start/123516

On the console for example with cura 5.2:

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=""  ./Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.1-linux-modern.AppImage

Hello One user of the Manjaro Team have reply to me and give me the trick thats works...

many thanks again.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cura-version-5-appimage-failed-start/123516

On the console for example with cura 5.2:

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=""  ./Ultimaker-Cura-5.1.1-linux-modern.AppImage

@alfcura - Thanks for the response. Sorry for not updating this sooner, but I found an answer on another forum (I want to say the cura git page). From what I found, I created a script tor starting Cura and linked it to the icon which is very similar to your suggestion, so thanks again.

#!/bin/bash
    ## wrapper for Cura 5 to unset QT style

unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
    /home/jason/appImages/cura