Bottom Skin of Print is having extrusion issues

Hpod

Posted · Bottom Skin of Print is having extrusion issues

The type of printer I use is the Ultimaker and whenever I print a part, the bottom skin that usually has support has extrusion issues. Everything else in the print turns out fine but the bottom skin turns out terrible. I've tried adjusting my Cura print settings to where the bottom skin layer would come out okay. Nothing I tried worked. I have the Printing Temp set to 225, build plate at 60. Print speed set to 30. Here are screen shots of settings I have for the top/bottom layer as well as what my prints look like when they are finished.

Any suggestions?

top bottom setting 3.png

top bottom setting 2.png

top bottom setting 1.png

20220810_111317.jpg

20220810_111324.jpg

Posted · Bottom Skin of Print is having extrusion issues

Hi @Hpod, you may want to print breakaway support (same material support) with a Z clearance of 1 layer, but the resulting surface will still be rough (and the support will be hard to remove). If you'd like to achieve a bottom surface which is as smooth as the top surface in your pictures, you'll have to print with soluble support (such as PVA). 

Another possibility might be to design a cilinder (again, with a Z clearance of 1 layer) below the central hole to support it (i.e. designed support), changing your overhang to a bridge, but the surface will still be quite rough and the dimensions of the smaller holes won't be exact. Again, the best result would be to print this part with soluble support.

Hope this helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies