Confused by profiles

MineralMike

Posted · Confused by profiles

I've been using Cura 4.12.1 for several months, but I'm still confused trying to create and save custom printer profiles. I have a new Anycubic Vyper printer,a nd imported its Anycubic Vyper-PLA-V1.0.2 profile, which contains profiles for Normal, Fine, Extra File, etc. I want to select one of these in the Print Settings dialog, make some simple changes (e.g., infill percentage and type), then save it as a custom profile. I've run into two issues:

1. Somewhere, somehow I once saw a menu that gave me the option of saving the profile under a new name. Now I can't find this menu. Where is it?

2. If I change something in a profile, e.g., Normal, then select a different profile, e.g., Fine, I get the dialog asking if I want to keep my changes for the Fine profile. I click keep changes, and they appear in the File Profile. But if I then select the Normal profile from the dropdown list, I get the same keep/discard dialog -- the changes I made to Normal aren't there any more.

I am very confused by this. What must I do to change several profiles and have them all "stick?" If I make changes and exit Cura, those changes are present in the new session, but if I make changes to multiple profiles in a session, only the last profile changed keeps its changes.

Will someone please help me understand how to better manage printer profiles?

Thank you very much.

--- Mike