ok thanks, I'll try reducing the temperature as far as possible. I'll also try getting cura up and running when it is released.
I have tried reducing the extruder temperature, and this helped a little, but did not resolve the problem. To be clear, the problem was that the print head would slow down dramatically, to maybe 1mm per second, for travel along one side of the triangle. This would result in too much plastic being extruded, and also localised melting of previously extruded material.
I then got round to installing netfabb on my machine, and started testing it - and so far it does not seem to have the same problem. I've tried using the standard ultimaker profile, and also the same profile but with the temperature range increased by 10C which gave me better results. (Note I'm using netfabb to generate gcode then sending that to replicatorG to do the actual print, and i'm using a linux machine with Wine, if that makes any difference).
As a result I'm not sure of the source of the problem - temperature obviously plays a role, but is not the main factor. I think it must be something with the way replicatorG generates the Gcode.
Most likely the result of the "cool" settings. What happens is that because the layers are smaller, the printing speed is reduced to make sure the previous layer is cooled down. However, because of this is can go so slow that you get the melted problems. Reducing the temperature also helps.
Cura 1.0 will have a setting to ensure a minimal extrusion speed, which solves this issue. (but isn't released yet)
Link to post
Share on other sites