Materials Backup/Synchronization between cura versions

bmart

Posted · Materials Backup/Synchronization between cura versions

I have cura 5.1.1 on my main laptop, have 5.1.1 on my kids laptop, but my wife has a macbook pro (running Catalina 10.15.3), which has some sort of a problem running 5.1.1, and thus needs to be on 5.1.0

With my and my kids laptops, I am able to synchronize my settings/materials using the backup/restore function, which works quite well with adding new materials to our library.  This does not work between versions, however, so I am unable to do this to my wife's macbook pro.  This means manually exporting each individual material and importing them on her computer.  Furthermore, if I tweak something later, I need to repeat this process.

I anticipate this problem with 5.1.1 not running on a mac is likely to occur with future versions as macos is probably not front of the line for testing.  In an environment where multiple installations are being used, it would be nice to share material libraries.

*** Is it then possible to have a materials synchronization feature separate from backup/restore, or could it be possible to have cross-version backup/restore (within limitations when breaking settings are introduced).  Does this already exist somehow (for non-ultimaker machines) that I am missing?

Printer: Qidi X-Plus

Laptops: Windows 11, Windows 11 Pro, Macbook Pro mid 2014 running Catalina 10.15.3

She is quite particular with her laptop to be able to run her various graphics applications, and has been hesitant to upgrade the OS beyond its current version, which I recognize may be one of the issues at play.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted · Materials Backup/Synchronization between cura versions

I forgot to add,

As I do not have an ultimaker printer currently, the materials on the ultimaker marketplace are marked as not being compatible with my machine.  This form of materials synchronization thus isn't an option for me. 

The filaments I have in my database are thus all custom materials, tweaked from manufacturer recommendations after running calibration test prints.

The manual cura config synchronization options (my next option) seem fraught with problems: https://gist.github.com/crysxd/e5586b291dfcbec569111b7269d30869

(version updates breaking things, and computer needing to be signed in to the same cloud account - possible but a hassle when dealing with multiple users and both windows/mac)