Question about limits in the Step Driver

Posted · Question about limits in the Step Driver

Hello everyone,

I figured out my step driver from the x-axis is broken. I've tried to lower the power hoping that might be the problem (

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_b ... or_drivers

) but it didn't help unfortunately. I just contacted ultimaker and they will send me a new one so I hope I can print my first creation next week. But there is still a question unanswered:

When I tried to turn the screws on the stepper driver I didn't feel a "stop" or something when I turned it to the left or right. There was no stop which made me able to keep turning to the left and right. Is this normal? Or am i turning the wrong screws? I embedded a picture where you can see the stepper drivers. The upper driver isn't working anymore (1.) and the other ones are still working. Is the flat side on the screw (highlighted with nr. 2.) the indicator of where you are shown in the wiki? (

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_b ... or_drivers

) or doesn't this have a function? How can I adjust these?

problemo.png

I've also uploaded Marlin Experimental 3 from the "upload a new firmware" function in ReplicatorG. Is this version trustable? Or may this also cause problems like overheating?

Thanks in advance

The Marlin experimental 3 from RepG is fine. But old, but fine. It's best to first get your machine working, and then upgrade to the latest and greatest software (which will improve your prints)

The pots (as they are called) on the step drivers might not feel like they have end points, but they surely do. You are turning the right things. And the first one doesn't look set right on the photo.

Simply put they are these in a very small form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

Depending on the type they might not feel like they have an end point, but turning them beyond the end makes them lose contact. Turning them back or forward makes them make contact again. They are really simple devices ;-)

So, just to get things clear, it doesn't matter if i'm turning the screw 4 rounds to the right or left, as long as it is pointing towards 2 'o clock ? The Step drivers form y and z are standing perfect like this? Just to be sure :)

Could someone maybe upload a picture of their step driver screw settings? I don't want to overheat another step driver and wait another hole week to get started again with printing. Thanks in advance