ulticontroller on ramps?

Posted · ulticontroller on ramps?

(don't want to sound lazy) but before I launch into this project I hoped to get a quick verifiaction that I might be sucessfull if i put in the brain work. Or advice from the more experienced folks pointing out my folly and/or helping me understand the scope of what will be needed for success.

I have a Type A Machine (which uses a RAMPS board and Marlin) and an ulticontroller. I read a while back in Make Magazine that I could use the Ulticontroller to give me headless SDcard printing on this printer, but alas I can't find anyone who has documented this online. Some TAMs users have posted that this controller works (http://www.reprapshop.us/product/lcd-control-panel/) so I am encouraged that theortically I should be able to get my ulticontroller to work with the TAM.

I think I will need to:

1. figure out the pysical connection pin differences.

2. possibly write custom pin assignements in the marlin firmware.

or am i over thinking and just need something to do the work of this adapter that attaches to the RAMPS? (picture below)

thanks for any help and/or discouragements you have to offer. :)panel6.jpg