Ender 3 S1 - Bulging Corners

Posted · Ender 3 S1 - Bulging Corners

Hey everyone. I've scoured a ton of forums, including this one, and cannot find any really useful resources on how to get rid of the bulges at the corners of prints. I've worked through print speed, flow rate, jerk control, and linear advance. All of those had some benefits in terms of overall print quality, but NOTHING helps the corners, not even linear advance. And it's not just one file, it's every single thing I print, whether I modelled it myself on Rhino, took it from Thingiverse, or someone else made it in Fusion 360. So, it's definitely a slicer issue or a physical issue with the printer. 

Things I've tried:

Print speed: 50-100mm/s - no change

Flow Rate: 94-100% - increase top layer quality at 97%

Jerk Control: 0-100mm/s - no real change. Just seemed to print faster and sharpen the still bulging corners

Linear Advance: 0-20 - Honestly, made the first 10 layers worse and fixed no issues.  

image.jpeg

Print speeds of 50-100mm/s is going to be a big factor of your issue.
    Try print speeds of 20-40mm/s and see if the results are better. 
    If they are better at the lower speeds, the issue will be completely hardware and firmware related.
    (belt tension, acceleration speed, jerk, etc)

If your results are better at the slower speeds, try retuning your Linear Advance at those lower speeds. Results should make more sense.

Realistic speeds for your printer are 30-60mm/s range and on the low side if corner quality is your focus. That 3D Printer is not a highspeed printer out of the box.

Dustin, thanks for the input so far. I did a print on 60mm/s and still had the same bulges at the corners when using Cura. Then I did a 100mm/s print using Prusa Slicer and the cube printed perfectly at the corners. I'd rather user Cura, so I'd really like to figure this out in the settings. 

By default Prusa Slicer actively changes Jerk and acceleration rates while slicing. Might check the settings in Prusa Slicer to see if its doing that for your machine profile. That will significantly factor in to your test