Cura with Replicator 2x

dannyswrld

Posted · Cura with Replicator 2x

Hey guys,

We just got a Replicator 2x at school and we're pretty excited to use it. Previously we had been using a big Dimension printer, but are excited at how more open the bots are. However while printing with dual extrusion, we quickly learned about oozing. I printed a small mau5head and you can see it.

A friend recommended using Cura, because it has ooze shield and wipe & prime tower. However, the Gcode it is exporting is simply not working. I have tried setting the machine settings manually, as well as testing two profiles for the 2x (I don't remember which ones, so any suggestions welcome), and the Gcode flavor is set to Makerbot. That being said, when I save the tool path and bring it into ReplicatorG, I'll get errors like:

Unrecognized MCode! M113

Moreover, it will not print where it is said to print. For example if I set it to the middle of the plate, it will print off it. I have already enabled "MachineCenter 0,0", and while this helped out, it is still way off. The problem is only occurring with Cura, as when I try to print from ReplicatorG it works. Any help with getting Cura working (as well as any tips for dual extrusion printing in general) would be great .Thanks.

We're still waiting for our Replicator. Currently the latest beta has the biggest chance to produce working GCode that Makerware can convert to X3G

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

However, due to it totally depending on user feedback and other people figuring out how to get it to work properly.

I hope to properly produce X3G files once we have a Replicator.

Note that Makerbot is the closest "open" machine you could get. They have been everything but helpful in providing support for other software then their own.

We're still waiting for our Replicator. Currently the latest beta has the biggest chance to produce working GCode that Makerware can convert to X3G

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

However, due to it totally depending on user feedback and other people figuring out how to get it to work properly.

I hope to properly produce X3G files once we have a Replicator.

Note that Makerbot is the closest "open" machine you could get. They have been everything but helpful in providing support for other software then their own.

Hey, great to hear you guys are working on it. When I produce the GCode on Cura, and try to convert it to X3G on Makerware, it gives me an error an it cannot do it. On ReplicatorG when I am converting the file, I am getting this:

Unrecognized MCode! M135

Update on what's happening: after experimenting more with the settings, the steps you mentioned above, and a plugin (the GPX to X3G plugin), nothing seems to be working. In fact, it seems to be the same result for everything. When I try to slice and print a single color model with Cura, it prints beautifully. When I try a dual extrusion object though, things get hairy. If I try to convert /that/ Gcode in ReplicatorG, I get the unrecognized MCode error shown above. Makerware won't take it either. Even if I ignore the above error, once I begin printing on my Replicator 2x, it begins trying to lower the plate lower than it can go, causing strain on the motors. When it finally rises again, it does not go all the way up to the heads, so it stays about a quarter inch away. The plastic also does not extrude.

Ah, ok, I missed the fact that you tried dual-color printing.

The dual-extrusion for Makerbot has been reported broken, but nobody figured out how to make it work yet. So Cura can only do single-extrusion for Makerbot right now.

we have a replicator 2 and a 2x at Fablab Reykjavik.

if there is anything we can do/send/try to help :)

would love to gain a bit more control over the replicators.