Unable to slice 0.4mm thick cylinder

Gl0ox
Go to solution Solved by obewan,

Posted · Unable to slice 0.4mm thick cylinder

Hello,

I was printing with older cura versions (I'm sorry, I don't recall since when it stopped working) the joined STL data.

It is a 0.4mm thick cylinder.

Now it fails slicing, what am I missing ? (Maybe it's me who don't remember how I was slicing...).

If any of you manage to slice, I'd love to read how :).

image.thumb.png.63f5eb846cf1496db1e066e9da6e35f0.pnginsert_central_uni.stlimage.thumb.png.d526437669689812ef6e85ab810bdf0e.png

Best regards,

Just tried it on CURA 5.1.1 and indeed, while it's doing OK with very basic settings and spiralize, it does not work with the spiralize option. At first, with 0.4mm width, it won't show layer past the 5-6 firsts, and if I reduce it to 0.35mm to test, it's going all the way up but with strings inside the cylinder, not proper spiralzing.

Weird.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Unable to slice 0.4mm thick cylinder

Thanks for your feedback Dadkitess,

I was finally able to slice it by changing Special Modes>Surface Mode to "Surface" (instead of "Normal").

Print is on-going (but it's not vase mode, I mean it is not printing continuously (even on the preview below you can see the vertical seam line). I don't know if I could print in continuous rotation by enabling any setting ?

image.thumb.png.4c26008fe14223d3806470d58a763317.png

ezgif-5-5de0e46cc3.gif

Edited by Gl0ox

I found out that it is printing with 2 layer wall thickness, which explains why it's not printing in vase mode (continuous rotation).

However I don't know what is wrong with my parameters. Using same parameter I was able to print in vase mode in some previous version, I'll try to downgrade and check again.

I found one of the cylinder portion I printed before in the trash (I use them for concrete dumbbells central inserts). It was indeed 1 layer (0.4mm) with from what I recall, the same parameters.

image.thumb.png.e787decde5cdfd7bf631c96937942cab.png

image.png

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Unable to slice 0.4mm thick cylinder

using cura 5.2.1

Setting number of walls=1

surface mode=normall

slicing tolerance=middle

This  produces a spiralize gcode

G1 X100.381 Y79.303 Z3.702 E120.44146
    G1 X102.063 Y79.384 Z3.704 E120.49746
    G1 X103.736 Y79.573 Z3.706 E120.55346