Suggestion for Infill

crumbsPenfold

Posted (edited) · Suggestion for Infill

"Ribs" would be a useful infill option. These would be similar to the ribs in a boat.

"Baffles" would also be useful for enhancing strength. These would be similar to the square fill pattern except print thick baffles on every 10th wall.

User input of where the ribs or baffles should go would be the next step. A user will often know where the strength is needed in a part. Cura does not know, so it should be left to the user. 

I am very surprised that in (edit)2023 version 5... we still have basic repetitive patterns that don't react to the surface or provide any user control over where we want increased part strength.

Edited by crumbsPenfold

Posted · Suggestion for Infill

Lightning infill 'reacts to the surface'. Though it doesn't optimize for strength.

As for being surprised... There are a lot of useful things we can and could do, of which this is but one. We are only a small team to serve the entire community, and partially dependant on what comes in as pull requests from that community.

(Not saying we aren't interested, but we have a lot on our plate.)

Posted · Suggestion for Infill

Hi,

You can use a modifier mesh (for instance a simple scaled block).
    Increase the infill density of the modifier mesh.

Move the mesh over the model were you need more strength. The intersection of mesh and model will have a higher infill density. 

Posted (edited) · Suggestion for Infill
    12 hours ago, crumbsPenfold said:

I am very surprised that in 2003

I'm very surprised that you still live in 2003 🤣

I'm sure that in 20 years you will be able in Cura to create  a non repetitive pattern.  By using a "Discrete Lines" definition.

image.thumb.png.7835b9a7217d80f9235ba7e06a6f9313.png

Edited by Cuq
    • Laugh 2