(Lack Of) Z-Hop woes...

AEtherScythe

Posted · (Lack Of) Z-Hop woes...

On the latest CURA 5.x as of this date...
I have enabled every imaginable Z-hop related feature to try to stop my head scraping across the surface of my part.
No joy.

Please advise what information you might need to help me solve this problem?

B83893BD-8F0D-4892-8799-8BD3BF32A831.jpeg

Hi, @Dustin. Thank you for that.
    I clearly need a little more help with interpreting which option will help me most here.

I am using Combing mode "All" currently.

My Z-Hop settings are based on retraction, so I definitely want retraction to occur over the top layers, but what I was really hoping to achieve is to avoid traveling over printed parts altogether -- would be better to go around the outside, not just for this part but for other work using TPU, where I have some oozing and I don't want the "hairs" being deposited over the top surfaces.

I care about quality, not speed, for this work.

I guess I was hoping for a Combing mode of "Avoid Top Layers" -- I have the "Avoid Printed Parts When Traveling" enabled.
    It seems these settings are either in conflict or do not work the way I had expected.

Pretty please could you make a recommendation here?

image.thumb.png.8b46c7ba4e1a2d9b1d307f216937ae14.png

You can download the settings guide plugin for more details/images on the settings. 

I would guess this should work:

- Choose combining “not on outer surface” (All also works but takes much longer due to many unnnessesary retracts in infill areas). 

- Enable “travel avoid printed parts”

- Enable “z hob when retracted”

- Enable “z hob only over printed parts”

- increase z hop height if needed

There is a known bug in Cura that avoiding parts does not work during a nozzle switch travel move. However based on your photo this does not seem to be the issue. 

if that is not enough:

- Set Max comb distance to 1mm (basically always retract)

- Enable a prime tower (to wipe oozed material from the nozzle after a switch)

- make sure the PVA is dry. It appears wet (white color from water bubbles) and this can cause oozing. Same for TPU and Nylon. It needs to be super dry. 

• Like 1