Cura version 5.2.2

rjalberts

Posted · Cura version 5.2.2

I have had a Voxelab Aquila printer for over a year.  When I first got the printer, I downloaded and have been using Cura version 4.12.1 with very good results.   This was on a laptop computer.  Recently I moved the printer to a room where I have a desk top computer.  I downloaded Cura version 5.2.2 and tried it with a print.  The results were terrible.  The object was squishy and rough.  I went back to version 4.12.1 and the results are the same as my previous experience--very good.  I would appreciate any comments.

Posted (edited) · Cura version 5.2.2

The 5.x versions are different in regards to the walls and (recently) the support structure.

I liked 4.13.1 a lot and 4.12 was fine.  I moved to the 5.x versions full time when they came out.  I still do some slicing with 4.13.1 (but no printing) because chasing Cura bugs on Github has become a hobby and your comment actually comes up quite a bit.  My printer is an Ender 3 Pro with the stock 8 bit board running Marlin 1.1.8.  It isn't new.  It does an excellent job with either version of Cura.  I'm a retired fireman from Detroit and have nothing to do with UltiMaker other than spending time here and on the Github site.  I also occasionally use PrusaSlicer and IdeaMaker just to keep my hand in.

Migrating to the new version takes a bit of effort in that the new settings in "Walls" take some getting used to.  There is a bit of a learning curve when moving from the 4.x versions to the 5.x versions.

All that being said, I really haven't noticed any difference in my prints from Cura 4 to Cura 5 except in those cases where I have a thin walled model.  Using 5.x, those models are stronger and less features are dropped (do to line width) than in the 4.x versions.

Load a model in 4.12, set Cura up to slice, and use the "File | Save Project" command to create a 3mf project file.  Do the same using 5.2.2 with the same model.  Post the project files here and I'll take a look.

On something like a calibration cube you shouldn't see any difference at all..  A Benchy is different as it has a lot more detail, overhangs, and whatnot.  Either one would be fine.

Edited by GregValiant