s5 bed levelling not working

chekkefr

Posted · s5 bed levelling not working

Hi,

We have three s5 r2 pro bundles and for a few weeks, we've been unable to level one of their beds (bed sensor noise value is 1.67). Last weekend we updated it and one other two working printers to the new 8.1.1 firmware to try and address this. Now however both it and the other printer cant level their beds. The other printer has a noise value of 1.34.

We've tried manually levelling them all multiple times, giving more or less tolerance from the card. I've worked with many printers before and have never had problems with bed levelling that wasn't easily solvable. That includes UM2.5+, UM3, Creality machines, markforged, Raise3d etc. I also don't know why the bed is still sprung when even mid-range printers have or are moving away from that technology. If there's a good reason for being sprung then including a levelling shim would be much more suitable and professional than the card currently included. I used to really like Ultimaker's but this experience while considering the price has really made me question that. I've sent emails to Ultimaker support email but haven't had a response. I'm hoping the community can provide an answer. 

Have you reached out to UltiMaker Support directly for this issue?

Generally leveling issues on the S-Line are not often related to adjustments of the thumb screws.

It usually relates to bad sensor (though yours appears good by the number) or other electrical interference related issues.

I would recommend opening a support case with UltiMaker directly and sending them the log files from your machine that is having issues.

Guide here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337561393

Contact here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/contactsupport

Posted (edited) · s5 bed levelling not working

Argh ok so the tried calling them and they told me that they couldn't give me support over the phone and that I should email info@ultimaker.com. So I emailed them a few times with log files, photos and all the machine identifiers etc. and got no response. 

I'd be surprised if someone else hasn't had this problem before. If you add "if you're looking for support please follow this link to submit a ticket", or something similar as one of the options on the contact page then that'd save others from making the same mistake. Depending how the website is managed it should take a few minutes at most to add one more paragraph and a link.  

Edited by chekkefr

I still dont understand why a £11000 printer uses thumbscrews and a sprung bed. Or why they send out card and not levelling shims? I understood maybe 5-6 years ago but manually levelling a bed now is slow, is another variable to control with bed movement and leaves you looking through boxes looking for bits of card. I really expect more, if the capacitive sensor needs a redundant mechanism is needed (which it appears it does) then maybe having an additional mechanical or optical sensor is appropriate. But relying on you to eyeball distance then shove bits of card under the nozzle is something I'd expect from a £150 ender not a serious printer. 

9 hours ago, chekkefr said:

Argh ok so the tried calling them and they told me that they couldn't give me support over the phone and that I should email info@ultimaker.com. So I emailed them a few times with log files, photos and all the machine identifiers etc. and got no response. 

I'd be surprised if someone else hasn't had this problem before. If you add "if you're looking for support please follow this link to submit a ticket", or something similar as one of the options on the contact page then that'd save others from making the same mistake. Depending how the website is managed it should take a few minutes at most to add one more paragraph and a link.  

I sent you the direct link to contact support?
    Unless you used a different email address than your account here, I don't see any support cases at all for your email address?

However, I did forward your feedback about the contact page.

Hi Dustin, 

ok thanks, I forgot this account was registered with a different email. I've updated it to match the support ticket. 

On 3/8/2023 at 12:31 PM, chekkefr said:

Hi Dustin, 

ok thanks, I forgot this account was registered with a different email. I've updated it to match the support ticket. 

Your email address does not appear to have been updated... or if it is I still find nothing under that email address.

I have sent you a DM

If you do a keyword search and sort by time then you’ll find it. Makerbot support have contacted me anyway now (with a healthy week long delay). So I’ll debug it through them.