Slicing problems after rotation

thomasrumpf

Posted · Slicing problems after rotation

I have sliced my model without any problems (see first picture) in an upright position. Due to better heating of the model I have rotated it by 90°. When I slice it again with the same parameter I get a broken result. The model was created with Sketchup. I imported it also to FreeCad and created the STL file with no difference.

Is there an error on my side or is this behavior knownslice_error.pdfslice_error.pdfslice_error.pdf?

• 10 months later...
    Posted · Slicing problems after rotation

It's hard to tell by the pictures (and please, just embed them in the post, don't upload them as an attachment) exactly what you're trying to do or what the problem is. It's that in the second image it's missing a lot of the model?

The model file itself (based on the shadow) looks very, very thin. Like, paper thin. Quite possibly thin enough that to draw a (by default, 0.4mm) line on that particular layer would exceed the bounds of the model by too much.

If that's the case, in the quality settings, you could going to Quality > Line Width and lowering it, if you're using a 0.4mm nozzle, which most printers come with as standard, about the lowest you can go reliably is 0.26mm line width.

You could also go to Experimental > Slicing Tolerance and set it to Inclusive. This will make Cura always round up when calculating whether to put lines/layers in, so that you're guaranteed to have at least the volume of the model filled (if it even has any volume it's so thin).

If those don't work, it would really help if you could upload the Cura project file (.3mf, get it ready to print then go to File > Save Project in Cura).

And for what it's worth, SketchUp is widely regarded as being laughably bad at exporting model files. You should never use it for 3D printing for that reason. Importing it into another program and getting that to export it won't necessarily change things.

*/me notices original post is 10 months old*

Well, carp. Hopefully my wall of text there can help someone, anyway.

• Laugh 1