Linux Cura problem

E101
Go to solution Solved by rdatoc,

Posted · Linux Cura problem

Hi, im realitivly new to 3d printing and I have a chromebook so I get the linux version on Cura, But when I load up Cura (with micro sd card already reconized) It doesn't give me an option to save to removable drive. (this is after I have sliced it) Open to any solutions 🙂 sorry that the picture is upside down Screenshot2023-04-0211_48_12.thumb.png.ba7fec85d4825c4f648b4d313289a1e2.png

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Linux Cura problem

I stumbled upon this fix for the Cura AppImage, which I installed the latest version of (5.3.0) on my Chromebook.  Previous versions may or may not have the same issue, but this is probably applicable to those versions as well.

So I looked at the log messages generated by Cura in Terminal for a clue and came across this:

No applications found for mimetype: inode/directory
    .No applications found for mimetype: inode/directory

Which started the wheels turning.  Running this to display the default application for the above mimetype:

xdg-mime query default inode/directory

came up empty.  So ChromeOS Linux doesn't have a default file manager (like Nautilus or Thunar) and an AppImage can't open files or folders.  This article suggested Nautilus, or rather the Cinnamon fork, Nemo, for ChromeOS.  After installing it (Warning: installs a LOT of packages):

sudo apt install nemo

And restarting Cura, voila

Screenshot 2023-04-02 3.57.49 PM.png

Edited by rdatoc

Hi. Thank you for replying, I do have nemo installed already, the problem is that it doesn't give me an option to save to a removable drive. Maybe i'm just dumb and don't know how to use the Linux file management system 

Screenshot 2023-04-02 18.12.37.png

Screenshot 2023-04-02 18.12.51.png

Edited by E101

you might need to do a right-click "Share with Linux" on the USB drive with the ChromeOS Files app

That worked, thank you, one last question, how am I supposed to save, I click the save button it does nothing because I go to my chrome files (preinstalled) and its not there.

Edited by E101

you need to manually enter the filename to save.  the filename field is left blank by Cura:
    image.thumb.png.ec6753a3fd0d1371ad01be714c021c46.png

Thank you it worked.

Edited by E101

Just a note: Moved this topic to the correct section on the forum.

sorry im new and didn't know what to put

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, E101 said:

sorry im new and didn't know what to put

No worries 😃