CURA 5.3.0 extremely slow ?

Dadkitess

Posted (edited) · CURA 5.3.0 extremely slow ?

Hey there,

I'm working with CURA on a new work laptop, more powerful and recent than the previous one, and I got really really slow slicing, or even impossible one, like, nothing happen, the progressing bar won't go further than 20-40% for 20-30 minutes. It's taxing 100% of the CPU during a few minutes, then goes down about 8-15%, and nothing from the dedicated GPU.

Same 3mf were used on the previous laptop (3-4 min sometimes !), it was quite long but ended up working. I can't share theses specific 3mf, it's confidential, and other light 3mf are doing OK but still quite longer I'd say.

The new laptop : a Dell with i7 12850HX, NVidia RTX A1000, 32Go ram

Is this an issue with CURA 5.3.0 ? I'm not sure i've used it on my previous laptop. Or this is some kind of bad optimization with newer CPUs ?

Edited by Dadkitess

Posted · CURA 5.3.0 extremely slow ?

Do you have the Sidebar GUI or the Settings Guide plugin installed? And/or do you use Microsoft Powertoys on your computer? There seems to be an interaction between those plugins and that software tweak that can cause major slowdowns.

SideBar GUI nope, Settings Guide yep, it's a must have 😛 

Microsoft PowerToys, thought it was a joke at first to designate the Office suite, but it's some real products 😮 Nope, I don't think so, did not install anything like this and I don't think Admin / IT would have either.

So, settings guide maybe ? It's worth a try then ! 

Posted (edited) · CURA 5.3.0 extremely slow ?

Mmh, same I'd say. Uninstalled Settings Guide, made sure SideBar was not installed, I've restarted CURA, but alas...

It's seems to me that it reached the around 25-30% more rapidly, but now it's stuck at this step and idle at 8-9% CPU usage. I don't even know if it's moving very slowly or not.

Yeah, nah, did not change anything unfortunately. I'm like stuck right now with an order, and I really need to work as intended. And of course I can't go back on my previous laptop.

Why does it only use 8-10% of the CPU while there is nothing else running ? 

Edited by Dadkitess

I don't think this is related to the plugins if it's an engine slowdown.

Does this happen with Cura 5.2.x as well for that laptop?

Using only so little CPU (while it's slicing right?) is indeed odd, as the engine uses multi-threading for a lot of the sections.

Is this happening with and without support on?

Hello,
    I am working with Ultimaker 3UE and S5 Pro Bundle.

Cura5.3.0 is stable and favorite, but slicing sometimes gets really slow, or even impossible.

In such a case I use a previous version, in my case Cura4.6, Slicing gets extremely fast.

Please try it.

Mmh i'm still with 5.3, and still having issues, especially with the layers view.

I've just noticed that it's using the integrated GPU and not the A1000 dedicated GPU ! It's stuttering at 100% and it will by crazy slow for medium to large STL. Even small one are problematic.

So, what's about the A1000 dedicated GPU ? Is is supported ? Is there a way to force it ? Does 5.4 help solving this issue ?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Dadkitess said:

what's about the A1000 dedicated GPU ? Is is supported ?

Yes, but it is not up to Cura to decide which GPU to use. You can normally select which GPU to use via the driver of the GPU.

This should be a helpful article: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-switch-between-dedicated-gpu-and-integrated-graphics/