Uninterruptible Power Supply U3 extended

ZKARAGOZ

Posted · Uninterruptible Power Supply U3 extended

Hello. I use a U3 extended at my work for prototyping purposes. Enough times now, a power outage has caused a print to fail, and valuable time to be lost. I was asked to look in to a UPS to stop these things from happening again.  

Does anyone have experience with UPS' and Ultimaker printers? Are they sufficient to stop a print from failing?  Thanks

Posted · Uninterruptible Power Supply U3 extended

Hi,

I remember a topic (but can't find it for now) where someone mentioned good experience with an UPS by APC for his S5, which gave him bridging time of about 30 minutes.

I for myself (and my UM3) selected a quick and dirty (and a bit pricy) solution by using a power station with EPS function and 1000W power, which leads to a bridging time of at least 5 hours (calculating from the maximum power use of 200W; real consumption is about 120W). The external power brick of the UM3 is slow enough to deal with the short (30ms) switch time of the EPS.

So your first consideration would be how long you usually have to ride out a power outage, so you know your need of energy, and then select a USV or a power station.

I use a Delta2 from EcoFlow, but I know that other manufacturers also have similar power stations with EPS function available.

Regards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies