How do I add space between a raft and supports?

bbarham

Posted · How do I add space between a raft and supports?

Hello, I cannot figure how to add space between a raft and supports coming from it. The "Raft Air Gap" sets the distance between the top of the raft and bottom of the model, but apparently this does not apply to the supports. This causes a headache where the supports are bonded with the raft and a pain to remove. Is there a way to fix this? 

Cura Version 5.2.1

Capture.PNG

MotorMount^Production Fixture.3mf

• 2 weeks later...

That is unfortunate. For some prints it makes post processing much more difficult than it needs to be. For example, if I wanted to print a bowl, with the model facing down to get better surface finish on the bottom of the bowl, it would be a pain to remove anything because the supports are all bonded to the raft. Whereas, if I could add a gap underneath the supports and take the raft off first then the supports would be easy to pluck away. 

Is there anyway to request this feature be added? 

Thanks

Feature requests go HERE on GitHub.  When you create a new Issue you will have an option to report a bug or make a feature request.

But wait...there's no need to wait...I have a workaround.

image.thumb.png.89744f51bb67fea9f1145f306f481d63.png

On the left I've placed a Support Blocker and in the Per Model settings it is set to "Mesh Type: Normal Model" (rather than the default "block supports").  It's sized to cover the area where the support grows and I made it 2 layers thick only because that seemed like it would be thick enough.

So Mr. @bbarham for absolutely no charge you get the regular air gap between the raft and the block, and since you asked in the last 10 minutes you get todays UM Forum "Buy none get one" special - the regular "Floor Distance" air gap between the block and the first layer of support for absolutely no extra charge!!  It's two air gaps for the price of none!!

Sincerely,

Ron Popeil