The "Rib" effect

maccumi

Posted · The "Rib" effect

Greetings everyone on the forum! I'm looking for a way to implement a unique "Wave" effect on the model surface when using the Ultimaker Cura slicer. I've heard that changing the line width on each layer can help create an interesting "Rib" structure on the surface of the model, but I have no experience using this technique and don't know how to implement it.

I came to this forum to ask for help from experienced Ultimaker Cura users. I would like to know how to set up the slicer to achieve this effect. I'm sure many of you have had experience creating this effect and I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences and tips.

I want to create a vase model with a "Rib" effect that will be especially impressive when using transparent or translucent materials. I know that using Ultimaker Cura can help me achieve this goal, and I hope you can help me with this.

I would appreciate any information or advice you can give me. Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I would like to get a structure like this)

image.thumb.png.2396ed7b0597e3274eac7577c6098a0d.png

I don't understand.

Is that a section through the model and planar-parallel to the build surface?

Is that a single toolpath (one layer in spiralize) with those wide spots being over-extruded and then the narrow spots being under-extruded? 

there was a script you could run your gcode thru that would vary temperature every layer depending on your settings. it was good for making wood filament look more "real" because the darkness of the filament changes alot with temp.  are you thinking of something like that but perhaps with layer height? oh line width.. i dont think thats a feature ive never hard of it idk. have you seen "fuzzy skin"? maybe not the effect your looking for...

18 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I don't understand.

Is that a section through the model and planar-parallel to the build surface?

Is that a single toolpath (one layer in spiralize) with those wide spots being over-extruded and then the narrow spots being under-extruded? 

This is the top view of the layer; when you move the extruder, you must widen or narrow the width of the layer without changing the height of the layer to achieve an interesting effect. I understand that some slicer should have such a function. And the extrusion should be uniform on the outside as well as on the inside, I was just doing a quick sketch.