Using IIIP 3D Printer and want to learn more about Cura

Nawar

Posted · Using IIIP 3D Printer and want to learn more about Cura

Hello, 

I got IIIP mini 3D printer and downloaded Cura 5.3.1. I couldn't connect to the printer after I put the cable that connects to the printer and the computer. Searched in Cura for the printer and also couldn't find it. 

What should I do to connect the printer with Cura software?

What else I need to do that I might missed during the process? 

Posted · Using IIIP 3D Printer and want to learn more about Cura

@Nawar welcome to the forum.

"What else I need to do that I might missed during the process?" 

I'm going to stay away from that one.

The printer definition files for non-Ultimaker printers come from the open-source community or from the manufacturer of the printer.  You can check with the manufacturer (Monoprice??) and see if they have some files to download.

In the Cura Marketplace (button in the top right corner of the Cura workspace) there is a plugin for "Monoprice Select Mini V2" that may help with WiFi connectivity.

If you are trying to communicate via the USB then things get iffy.  The "USB Printing" function is not maintained by anyone so it either works for you or it doesn't.  It does depend on the "USB to SERIAL" drivers having been installed.

If you are on Windows you can connect the printer to the computer and go to the "Device Manager" and the "Ports (Com and LPT)" section.  You may see a line like "USB-SERIAL (CH340) COM3".  That would indicate that the computer sees the printer and that it happens to be connected on "COM3".  If it isn't there then you have a port driver problem.

I don't have any problems either sending to or receiving from my printer but I always print via the SD card.

• Like 1