Resurrecting my Ultimaker Original from 2012. My UMO Black Edition.

Posted · Resurrecting my Ultimaker Original from 2012. My UMO Black Edition.

Hey, please bear with my this is going to be a long post.

I bought my first from in 2012 the Ultimaker Original all plywood, and before they started shipping the heatbed. So I had the 10mm cast Acryllic build plate and thats where my bug for printing began. Info back then was so difficult to find about printing and tech. I remember reading Sanjay's introductory post of the e3d all metal hotend on the reprap forum and found a clone on aliexpress to order from. Then needed to figure out how to solder a 4.7k O resistor on mainboard to be able to use a thermistor. Slicing on the old skeinforge the original editions of CURA would sometimes take hours, I also paid to purchase the netfabb slicer, which was the fasted back then, and eventually shifted to Kisslicer. I remeber having the printer connected to a computer for all the printing over USB, no lcd display back then. Those were different times.

In 2015 I started to design my own delta printer, mostly because I got tired of having the recalibrate the bed constantly due the 90%+ humidity, the plywood would flex so much and always loose calibration. The delta needed parts for which my UMO because the mother and by 2017, my UMO was in storage and I exclusively began printing on my Delta, and its the delta I used to print parts for the resurrected UMO.

I pulled out the UMO from storage to see if I could get it up and running again from the parts I've collected over the years. The frame, nearly all the fasteners, all linear rods and linear bearing along with motors, short belts, pulleys and the copper bushings are original from 2012. The hotend is a prometheus 2 hotend, the original 1 piece hotend, simillar to the revo. This hotend is bulletproof and has never jammed on me during normal usage. The board is a Fysetc F6 built like a tank and newer 2209 stepper drivers from big tree tech. I was using this on my delta, before i upgraded to the new skr pico. The z-stage is 3 pieces of 4020 extrusions. The only new purchase has been new 300mxl belts for the X and Y carriages.

I painted the frame matt black, because of how dirty the frame had become. The print head and the x and y carriages are new designs. I just completed the fist movements today 600 mm/s speed with 10k accelerations and the printer is stable with very little vibration, running at .8amp on spreadcycle - https://youtu.be/lcjKa35R-DY

I am yet to finish designing a mount for my 210x210 heated bed, bltouch and part cooling fan. And I need to mount everything below the printer for a clearer look. The complete printer will take a few more days, but looking forward to what the community has to say

IMG_20230524_002100.jpg

IMG_20230524_001759.jpg

IMG_20230524_001743.jpg

IMG_20230521_131355.jpg

IMG_20230519_225238.jpg

IMG_20230514_184340.jpg

IMG_20230514_184311.jpg

• Heart 1