Pre-Shelled CAD Features Overlooked During Slice

Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Pre-Shelled CAD Features Overlooked During Slice

I'm on Cura 5.3.1 trying to slice a prop.  I'm setup to print two walls and 10% infill with a 0.8mm nozzle.

In Fusion360 I pre-shelled the prop to 1.6mm wall thickness.  If I slice with infill the entire interior void infills and the bottom thread detail is omitted.  If infill is off I get the proper shell but still no bottom thread detail.

I've sliced/printed a similar design before without issue.

Any idea what setting could cause this?  Or perhaps something in the CAD model?

Bulb Xsection.jpg

Bulb Slice Infiill.jpg

Bulb Slice No Infiill.jpg

• Solution
    Posted · Pre-Shelled CAD Features Overlooked During Slice

I would guess something in the CAD model or more likely, the exported file.  The "wants to fill with infill" is a clue that the model that showed up in Cura is not shelled properly.  

Posted (edited) · Pre-Shelled CAD Features Overlooked During Slice

That's what I use but from Inventor.  Models from Fusion are usually fine.

The Fusion STL exporter may have user settings.  You would need to search for them.

If you can share the model then load it into Cura and use the "File | Save Project" command.  Post the 3mf project file here.

Edited by GregValiant

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 20 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies