Modify G Codes on Longer LK4 pro

Garythebloke

Posted · Modify G Codes on Longer LK4 pro

Hi, I've been trying to add to the post processing on Cura 5.2.1 in particular I just want to just change filament colour using the G Code mod 

Although i'm a fairly seasoned maker I don't have much tech knowledge. But it seems that anything I change in post processing has no effect on my prints. I am saving the file to an sd card and printing from that but seems like no changes are being made to the code. Do I have to be connected to the printer?

Appreciate some advice, thanks for reading.

Gary

Hi @Garythebloke.

The Post Processing alters the gcode that is written to the file.  The method it gets to the printer (SD, USB, Octoprint) doesn't matter.

From the top:

Go to "Extensions/Post Processing/Modify Gcode" and then "Add Script".

Select either Filament Change or Pause at Height.  Either will work.

Choose your settings.

Slice and save the gcode.

Open the Gcode file in a text editor.

Do a search for the command used for your color change.  Filament Change uses M600 and Pause at Height is adjustable so you would need to remember the command you used in the Pause settings (often M0) .

50 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Hi @Garythebloke.

The Post Processing alters the gcode that is written to the file.  The method it gets to the printer (SD, USB, Octoprint) doesn't matter.

From the top:

Go to "Extensions/Post Processing/Modify Gcode" and then "Add Script".

Select either Filament Change or Pause at Height.  Either will work.

Choose your settings.

Slice and save the gcode.

Open the Gcode file in a text editor.

Do a search for the command used for your color change.  Filament Change uses M600 and Pause at Height is adjustable so you would need to remember the command you used in the Pause settings (often M0) .

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. I'm more or less doing as you described. The only thing i'm not doing is to edit the G code. Why is this necessary? I thought the saved Gcode had the relevant changes based on the Cura post mod. I'll certainly have a look at what you've suggested though. I have tried though to just add other scripts like display time remaining, create thumbnail but nothing changes.

Thanks again, i'll have another go later.

It isn't necessary when things are working right.  If for some reason the commands aren't in the gcode then they aren't there for the printer to follow.

So the first trouble-shooting step is to figure out which side the error is occurring:  on the Cura side or on the printer side.  That will dictate the second step.