Group layers of separated model features (print sequence modifier with-in model)

jnygaard

Posted · Group layers of separated model features (print sequence modifier with-in model)

Hi folks.
I'm new here, so not sure if this is the right place to ask....

I have an idea I'd like to run by you. A feature/setting or tool to allow printing separate distinct features/parts of a model, xx numbers of layers at a time, rather than print one layers at a time. A bit similar to the "Print sequence" setting of "all at once", but within the same part/model and with a configurable number of layers, equal to 4-5 mm or how ever much ones nozzle/hot-end allows.    

I need to print at ton of items, similar to a big german beer mug. And while printing the middle part where the handle is 25-30 mm away from the main body, it would be more efficient to print say 15-20 layers at each location, before doing the travel/retract. 

Not so much to reduce travel/print time, but mostly to reduce stringing and the subsequent cleaning of the parts.

My first thought was to just whip up some quick and dirty code in C# to modify the .gcode from cura, but then thought there might be others that could benefit from this?

So a couple of questions: 

1) Is it even feasible to print like this? Or would it mess up layer adhesion or something? Not super worried about being able to see the groups of layers. Mechanical properties are main concern.

2) if yes, what is the best way to do this? Can it be done with a plug in?? Or better to go directly in the heart of cure?

I guess it could also be done with an online tool that modifies the code, but I have a feeling there might be tweaks to be done with fan speed and maybe even print speed for first layers of a block and the it quickly becomes cumbersome to do it afterwards.       

Posted · Group layers of separated model features (print sequence modifier with-in model)

I call them post-post processors.  Cura creates a gcode file.  You open the gcode, read it into your C# app, alter/manipulate the gcode as required, and then "Create" a new text file, do a "SaveAs" new gcode file, and write the altered gcode into it.

I've written an app that is a wrapper for about 15 post-processors but what you want isn't one of them.

Normally, there isn't anything in a gcode file to differentiate the "handle" from the "mug".  If you were to put a support blocker configured as Modify Settings for Overlaps and with say Wall Count the same as the Wall Count of the main model, then whenever the nozzle entered the Mesh Modifier you would get ";MESH:Eraser" in the Gcode.  That would allow you to separate that part of the code on any particular layer.  Cut them out of 5 consecutive layers, paste them into a new layer, use G92 liberally to adjust the XYZE for all the areas with missing code sections and with the pasted code sections.  

After that all you have to do is everything else.

It would seem to be easier to buy another printer (or 6).

• 2 weeks later...
    On 6/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, GregValiant said:

Normally, there isn't anything in a gcode file to differentiate the "handle" from the "mug".

I was planning to look for the G0 travel move and if more than xx mm, then do the stacking. And to make it more versatile/robust, probably run through all the G1 lines in the (2) blocks for each features and find the 2 closest points. Would be needed, if the travel is not the shortest path.

So what you are says is put it in a separate "app"?

PS. Sorry for the late reply. I though I would get a email notification, when someone posted...  

PPS. I don't have space nor money for 6 more printers....

The default for Email notifications is "off".  In the message center (or in your profile) you can turn it on.

If you put your process into a separate app then you can move sections of the code around a bit easier.  You can choose whether to treat the entire gcode file as a long string, or to read each layer and make each layer into an item in an array or list. 

If you post process directly in Cura then each layer is an item in a list (data[ ]) but you might be able to do what you want.  It would be an extensive post process.

Insuring that the file was sliced with "Relative Extrusion" enabled could be very helpful.  At least if you miss something if won't result in a 4000mm prime.

What do you do about any support on the layers involved?

Debugging is WAY easier in something like Visual Studio than using the Cura app to debug a post processor.