Query: Flexible and normal PLA; do they print together?

rowan-murphy

Posted · Query: Flexible and normal PLA; do they print together?

Specifically, I want to know can I print flexible PLA and normal PLA together, in the same print; and do they bond together. Or do I need to print separate pieces and glue them together? And what glue works best for PLA? Super glue? or epoxy resin?

Thanks in advance...

Posted · Query: Flexible and normal PLA; do they print together?

PLA and flex PLA have a similar glass transition point (or Tg, related to the melting behavior) and similar melting behavior. I would be surprised if there's not adhesion at all, however I haven't tried this. I'm currently printing the flex stuff. I could give it a try.

Glueing PLA isn't too hard. I heard people are having decent results with super glue, but in your case You'll want a glue that can flex a little. PVC pipe glue usually has a bit of THF in it and is a filling glue. THF will dissolve the PLA a bit. I've used it to glue PLA and also to fill little gaps for vases and such, since you can seal an object with it.