Cura 5.4: How to print support structures of single-material-model with extruder 2 containing PVA

Gumml

Posted · Cura 5.4: How to print support structures of single-material-model with extruder 2 containing PVA

Hello,

I've got a Sovol SV04 printer and tried to print the stanford-dragon with PLA (on extruder 1) and wanted to print the support structures with PVA (on extruder 2).

image.thumb.png.61d8134ca67a113766a2b31e6dc4456a.png

If I set the support extruder to "Left Extruder" (the PLA-extruder), I'm able to slice the model:

image.thumb.png.6856de6af2d4a98e9c9c1ba898796a39.png

However, if I change the support extruder to "Right Extruder", which is the one with the PVA, I end up with a slicing error and a strangle striped model:

image.thumb.png.e436e2e58d17ba3cc887b525574295cf.png

At this point, Cura, unfortunately, leaves me not really with helpful information. With a size of 5 cm the model is definitely in the supported range of my printer. Since the model is a single-material model, only the PLA extruder is assigned to the model, so it could be that extruder 2 is disabled, but how would I enable it to print the computed support structure? About the modifier mesh - I don't even have a clue what that is supposed to mean ^^"

How can I get the model to be printed with the filament from extruder 2 as support structure material?

Thank you 

Posted · Cura 5.4: How to print support structures of single-material-model with extruder 2 containing PVA

The striped pattern indicates that the model does not "fit in the build volume" or that it collides with an area that is not available for printing. I think - but that is just a guess - that Cura is reserving space for a prime-tower in the unfortunate location where the model is located. The quick fix is to move the model to the side a bit, the better solution would be to change the position of the prime tower.

Hello, thank you. That actually did the trick. Don't know, why the tower was enabled.