Failed slicing if part of object is below build plate

CRKelly
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Failed slicing if part of object is below build plate

In previous versions of Cura, I could remove the bottom part of a print by adjusting the Z location by a negative number.  This put part of the object below the build plate and Cura would just ignore it during the slicing.  Since I have moved up to 5.3.1 and 5.4.0, this is now causing an error during slicing.  Is there a work around for this?

Many of the 3d print files I find online have messed up bottoms that make them unprintable without adjustment.  My easy fix for this in the past was simply to drop the print a mm or two and the new bottom worked just fine.

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Failed slicing if part of object is below build plate

That hasn't changed and I just did a print that way this afternoon.  There are slicing problems with 5.4 but I haven't seen anything indicating that it is related to the Z location of the model.

There are three workarounds that either separately or in combination may fool the bug.

• Move the model to different locations on the build plate.
    • Rotate the model.
    • Change the Initial Layer Height by just a little (Ex: from 0.20 to 0.23).

But there are definitely error-free models that 5.4.0 simply refuses to slice.

EDIT:  If a model extends past the build plate in the XY it won't slice.  That is true even if the part that sticks out is below the build plate.  That has not changed.  

image.thumb.png.4bc5fe1d33a6aaabba7f0c97790cfad0.png

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Failed slicing if part of object is below build plate

Thank you for the response.  I think you are correct and 5.4.0 was just refusing to slice that model at all.  Same with 5.3.1.  It was still slicing fine on 5.2 versions.

Hopefully they figure out the slicing issues with 5.4 soon enough.