Invalid Model?

Svarun123

Posted (edited) · Invalid Model?

I have the following model, created with Autodesk Inventor (attached to this post as STL):

image.thumb.png.523678b045ea90dff7581e64cdef765f.png image.thumb.png.ed3f1e5c0cbc18dabc8212ffc35f038a.png

Upon attempting to load & slice the following model into my Ultimaker Cura v5.4.0, I encounter some strange behaviour.

Firstly, the top edge is reported as erroneous:

image.thumb.png.bc18d2907ce8d6892cecd4aa7c6f2cd6.png

And upon attempting a slice, the software entirely fills up the hollow inside areas of the model, as such:

image.thumb.png.b261b0ea64e26df0ad2d1d6a1c5ea59c.png

I'm not using any support modifiers, nor am I using a raft for my build plate adhesion.

What is the issue here?

Thanks for reading my post, any guidance is appreciated.

Test_1.stl

Edited by Svarun123

Posted · Invalid Model?

The AutoDesk products rarely have trouble exporting STL files.  This one is an exception.

I can't tell if a cut/join/intersect went wrong but that top surface has open edges so the model isn't watertight.  That forces the slicer to "guess" where the outside ends and the inside starts.  The "inverted faces" were what caused the red top surfaces in your screenshots.  When red if facing upwards it always means the model needs repair.

Here is a report from a site I use to check models.

--> 213 Naked edges (?)
    --> 4 Planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 118 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 0 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
    -> Repairing: 100.00%
    ----- Repair completed in 502ms ------
    -> Vertex count changed from 445 to 528 (+83)
    -> Triangle count changed from 685 to 1056 (+371)

MS 3D Builder was able to repair the file.

I noticed that even though the model is right on the build plate that support is growing under it to hold it up.  That's because you have a "knife" edge on the build plate side.  The sharp edge is too narrow to slice so you get support up to the point the knife edge is wide enough to slice.

AutoDesk makes NetFabb which is an excellent repair utility.  It's bundled with Fusion 360 and should be available for Inventor.