Unnecessary travel moves in Cura 5

stejan

Posted · Unnecessary travel moves in Cura 5

When i slice anything with Cura 5.4 it makes a lot of unnecessary moves when printing the first layer walls. This doesn't happen in Cura 4 and more often then not results in failed prints has it tends to knock the plastic loose from the bed. 

What settings could be most likely causing this?  I cant seem to get it to print without constantly jumping from one place to another.

Thanks

I'm not familiar enough with older versions of Cura to know if anything's changed between the versions, but there are a few settings I know that can affect the travel and adhesion of the initial layer:

Quality > Initial Layer Height: Having the initial layer a litter higher increases the filament being put down which gives it more of a chance to stick.

Quality > Initial Layer Line Width: Same deal as above.

Walls > Optimise Wall Printing Order: Makes it print all the walls for one object before moving to the next one.

Top/Bottom > Monotonic Top/Bottom Order: Has only a minimal effect on the final print (makes the surface look a little more smooth in the way it reflects light) but adds (pretty small) travels which otherwise wouldn't be there.

Material > Printing Temperature Initial Layer: Printing the initial layer a little hotter helps get rid of any possible air bubbles to increase contact with the bed. Should only be a little higher (with PLA I usually use 200° for the print but 205° for the initial layer).

Material > Build Plate Temperature Initial Layer: Again, a little higher than most of the print is better, allows for more thermal travel between the filament and plate (increasing their bonding), and less between the filament and the air.

Speed > Initial Layer SpeedPrinting the initial layer a bit slower gives it more chance to adhere instead of follow the hot end.

Speed > Initial Layer Travel Speed: Travelling slower reduces the chance of minor shocks to the extruder and/or bed moving things out of alignment. It also reduces any trail of filament following the hot end, since the filament will be retracted during a travel move.

Travel > Enable Retraction: If this isn't on, it misses half the point of my last suggestion.

Travel > Avoid Printed Parts When Travelling: Well duh. Should be on by default.

Travel > Avoid Supports When Travelling: ▲

Travel > Travel Avoid Distance: Minimum distance from any part while travelling. The idea is that it's at least high enough to avoid any part of the nozzle hitting something while travelling. Travels will probably take longer since has to find a less efficient route.

Cooling > Initial Fan Speed: I think it's 0% by default, the idea being that it gives the filament a bit more ooze time to stick on the plate. But it could be a problem if it's printing fast enough that it takes too long to cool and solidify. You should probably mess with Speed > Initial Layer Speed before you mess with this, but if the fan is on (or set higher) it will make the filament set (hopefully adhered) faster.

Build Plate Adhesion: Just the whole category. I usually just print a skirt (prints a few lines a little bit away from your print just to get things moving). You could try setting Build Plate Adhesion Type to brim to make it print a few extra lines before your part, which gives your part something to stick to.

On 9/10/2023 at 12:03 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I'm not familiar enough with older versions of Cura to know if anything's changed between the versions, but there are a few settings I know that can affect the travel and adhesion of the initial layer:

Quality > Initial Layer Height: Having the initial layer a litter higher increases the filament being put down which gives it more of a chance to stick.

Quality > Initial Layer Line Width: Same deal as above.

Walls > Optimise Wall Printing Order: Makes it print all the walls for one object before moving to the next one.

Top/Bottom > Monotonic Top/Bottom Order: Has only a minimal effect on the final print (makes the surface look a little more smooth in the way it reflects light) but adds (pretty small) travels which otherwise wouldn't be there.

Material > Printing Temperature Initial Layer: Printing the initial layer a little hotter helps get rid of any possible air bubbles to increase contact with the bed. Should only be a little higher (with PLA I usually use 200° for the print but 205° for the initial layer).

Material > Build Plate Temperature Initial Layer: Again, a little higher than most of the print is better, allows for more thermal travel between the filament and plate (increasing their bonding), and less between the filament and the air.

Speed > Initial Layer SpeedPrinting the initial layer a bit slower gives it more chance to adhere instead of follow the hot end.

Speed > Initial Layer Travel Speed: Travelling slower reduces the chance of minor shocks to the extruder and/or bed moving things out of alignment. It also reduces any trail of filament following the hot end, since the filament will be retracted during a travel move.

Travel > Enable Retraction: If this isn't on, it misses half the point of my last suggestion.

Travel > Avoid Printed Parts When Travelling: Well duh. Should be on by default.

Travel > Avoid Supports When Travelling: ▲

Travel > Travel Avoid Distance: Minimum distance from any part while travelling. The idea is that it's at least high enough to avoid any part of the nozzle hitting something while travelling. Travels will probably take longer since has to find a less efficient route.

Cooling > Initial Fan Speed: I think it's 0% by default, the idea being that it gives the filament a bit more ooze time to stick on the plate. But it could be a problem if it's printing fast enough that it takes too long to cool and solidify. You should probably mess with Speed > Initial Layer Speed before you mess with this, but if the fan is on (or set higher) it will make the filament set (hopefully adhered) faster.

Build Plate Adhesion: Just the whole category. I usually just print a skirt (prints a few lines a little bit away from your print just to get things moving). You could try setting Build Plate Adhesion Type to brim to make it print a few extra lines before your part, which gives your part something to stick to.

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I will have a look through these settings and see if anything helps .