use GNOME file picker

wolfdeh

Posted · use GNOME file picker

Hello,

I'm using CURA with ubuntu 22 GNOME. CURA always uses a KDE-like (?) file picker which always forgets my bookmarks. Is there a method to force CURA to use the (default) GNOME file picker?

Thanks in advance, Wolf

Posted (edited) · use GNOME file picker

As far as I'm aware... nope, sorry. Cura's interface is built in Qt, which is KDE's native GUI toolkit (but it works cross platform a lot better than GTK - GNOME's native toolkit - does, which is why it's used more often).

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Posted (edited) · use GNOME file picker

Okay, I officially recant my previous statement. Was testing a few different distros for another problem and found that it used the native file open dialog in KDE (openSUSE Tumbleweed), GNOME (on Ubuntu 22.04, so the Unity skin that comes as default) and Cinnamon (Linux Mint 21.2) as well as Windows. I can't think of a reason it would be different off the top of my head. Are you running a native package, a Snap or the AppImage?

Edit: I found that the latest version in the Linux Mint repos (which is not that recent, it's 14.3.0) in Cinnamon (also based on GTK+), it would use the Qt file picker dialog, just applied its own theme, whereas 5.4 (both the AppImage and a Flatpak) used the Cinnamon dialog. Can't give you any definitive answers just based on that, but it does suggest that certain desktop environments and/or certain Cura versions might not fully co-operate with each other.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    added info about 14.3.0 in Cinnamon

Posted · use GNOME file picker
    2 hours ago, wolfdeh said:

Thank you for caring. Should I file an issue report?

It can't hurt. There's probably stuff that's a lot more important (I don't know if they've managed to iron out all the nasty bugs in 5.4) but UX is still important for a program. Unfortunately it's one of the things which might be hard to pin down an exact cause for, which can make it hard to fix.