Mini Easel

Brianne163
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Ultimaker 5.4.0

I am having problems printing a mini easel with hinges.
The easel prints ok but after removing supports and trying to move the hinge, it breaks off instead of moving.
Being new to 3D printing I probably am using the wrong settings for walls, infill etc.
Infill 20% Grid, walls 2.
Your suggestions most welcome
Thanks
Brian

Print_in_Place_Easel_NEW_VERSION.stl

• Solution
    Posted · Mini Easel

Cura is printing it all as a single object:

image.thumb.png.c91b8757bb13ac4b14f05bb0f566867a.png

AFAIK, STL files can only contain one body. I know the idea with PiP stuff is that you only have to print a single file (usually) but with these settings it's being printed and all the hinge parts are being merged with the pin. There's no way anywhere near the default settings will let you do this. Using no infill might get you close (because there's no infill in the hinge parts that will stick to the pin) but it would be impossible to print. You could use a low infill and try and use the hinge by breaking what little infill is there, but the rest of the print would be incredibly weak because of it.

There might be a correct bunch of settings to get it to print the way it's supposed to work - but I've played around with the file a bit and can't find them.

If there are instructions you need to follow for how to print it, it would be pretty useful to see them. It might also help if you could please save the project as a 3mf file (File > Save Project) just before you'd export the g-code, as that will contain the print settings you're trying to use. While we're at it, it might help to include the g-code file itself to see how it's trying to get the printer to print the hinge.

Posted (edited) · Mini Easel

Playing around some more, it seems more likely to work if you print it standing up, as opposed to on its back. (I try all the complicated things first.)

image.png.32fdd4cc074dca4547b9f437f66a2241.png

There is a gap there between the hinge and the pin. Same up the top. How well it prints, that I'm not sure, considering it starts printing the pin with four layers of nothing beneath it:

image.thumb.png.bc5075540a5d29e32fa73a28673b6256.png

It's not uncommon to print with an air gap of one layer, sometimes two (usually above supports so they're easier to remove) but I've never tried that much. Results could depend on a lot on your printer and filament.

You will also need to turn on supports (Support > Generate Support) if you're printing it standing up, and that'll give you a little bit of support you need to clean out of the hinge, but it's designed to be fairly easy to remove:

image.thumb.png.be3411405ffc239d6cfc3ef7928fa991.png

(I hope you come back and read this before spending too much time trying to DIY fix it)

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

2 hours ago, Brianne163 said:

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I did try this first but had the same problem.

That makes me feel better (no really it does, I'd hate for someone to spend a lot of time doing something unnecessary just because I missed something obvious).

If it was me I'd mostly hollow out the centre parts, just leaving a bit at the bottom for the pin to sit on, then separately print a cylinder slightly lower in diameter than your hole to use as the pin, then something for a stopper at the top, either something to glue in place or make an end cap with a head and a lower bit the same diameter as the hollow and hope it stays in place with friction.