Cura crashes when trying to use 'Open File(s)' Arch Linux

wetgravel
Go to solution Solved by wetgravel,

Posted · Cura crashes when trying to use 'Open File(s)' Arch Linux

I have recently reinstalled my PC with Garuda Arch Linux using their minimal KDE installer. Whenever I open the 'Open File(s)' dialog Cura crashes and quits, the save project and export file dialogs from the File menu work correctly. Trying to Import or Export a material also results in a crash.

The logs say:

load non-native FileDialog implementation:
qrc:/qt-project.org/imports/QtQuick/Dialogs/quickimpl/qml/FileDialog.qml:4 module "Qt.labs.folderlistmodel" is not installed
[0m
Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

I had no problems on my previous Manjaro KDE install and have no problems running a much older install of Garuda Arch KDE. I am assuming there is a dependency missing or a Python library not installed but I'm not savvy enough to work out how to fix this.

stderr.log

Are you running the AppImage or did you get a copy from an AUR or something? (Or it could just be in the regular repos, I haven't messed around with Arch in ages). AppImages usually include all the dependencies they need.

Also you'd think a KDE install would contain all the Qt libraries you'd ever want 🙂 but I guess if it's minimal maybe not?

Being too lazy to set up an Arch VM, just looking in the repos for Debian and openSUSE Tumbleweed ❤️ and the different distros have different packages, so I can't tell you exactly what to search for, but in Debian (actually I can't remember whether that VM is Mint or LMDE so maybe Debian/Ubuntu) you'd probably want to make sure you have (probably being a bit overkill):

qml-module-qtquick-controls

qml-module-qtquick-controls2

qml-module-qtquick-dialogs

qml-module-qtquick-layouts

qml-module-qtquick-window2

qml-module-qtquick2

Whereas on my openSUSE install it's a bit more simple:

libQtQuick5

libqt5-quickcontrols

libqt5-quickcontrols2

In both VMs Cura runs fine.

Basically, just use pacman to search for qtquick and install anything which seems relevant - especially what seems like an all-encompassing package (like libQtQuick5 or qml-module-qtquick2) or anything to do with dialogs or controls.

Also, I don't have the Qt 6 versions of these packages installed, so you probably don't need those.

Thanks for the reply, it looks like all the qt dependencies are already installed.

$ pacman -Q | grep qt5                                                                                                  libdbusmenu-qt5 0.9.3+16.04.20160218-6
    modemmanager-qt5 5.111.0-1
    networkmanager-qt5 5.111.0-1
    packagekit-qt5 1.1.1-1
    phonon-qt5 4.11.1-3
    phonon-qt5-gstreamer 4.10.0-4
    polkit-qt5 0.114.0-2
    poppler-qt5 23.10.0-1
    python-pyqt5 5.15.10-1
    python-pyqt5-sip 12.13.0-1
    qca-qt5 2.3.7-2
    qt5-3d 5.15.11-1
    qt5-base 5.15.11+kde+r138-1
    qt5-charts 5.15.11-1
    qt5-datavis3d 5.15.11-1
    qt5-declarative 5.15.11+kde+r31-1
    qt5-graphicaleffects 5.15.11-1
    qt5-imageformats 5.15.11+kde+r12-1
    qt5-location 5.15.11+kde+r5-1
    qt5-multimedia 5.15.11+kde+r2-1
    qt5-quickcontrols 5.15.11-1
    qt5-quickcontrols2 5.15.11+kde+r5-1
    qt5-remoteobjects 5.15.11-1
    qt5-script 5.15.15-2
    qt5-scxml 5.15.11-1
    qt5-sensors 5.15.11-1
    qt5-serialport 5.15.11-1
    qt5-speech 5.15.11+kde+r1-1
    qt5-svg 5.15.11+kde+r6-1
    qt5-tools 5.15.11+kde+r3-1
    qt5-translations 5.15.11-1
    qt5-wayland 5.15.11+kde+r60-1
    qt5-webchannel 5.15.11+kde+r3-1
    qt5-webengine 5.15.15-2
    qt5-websockets 5.15.11+kde+r2-1
    qt5-webview 5.15.11-1
    qt5-x11extras 5.15.11-1
    qtkeychain-qt5 0.14.1-2

I tried both the Appimage and versions from the AUR , both the same.

So unfortunately I still haven't fixed the issue. Luckily drag and drop works for getting models into Cura, but I would like to fix this if I can.

I downloaded a Garuda KDE "Lite" (I've seen full fat distros with smaller downloads) ISO and set up a VM. I was able to replicate your problem but couldn't find a solution. All I found was a deep yearning to punch whoever decided pacman's syntax in the gut. Hard.

I can never remember the the Pacman commands so always setup zsh aliases called pacsearch, pacinstall and pacremove.

The slightly annoying thing is that the Garuda KDE with the vanilla interface used to be called Bare Bones iirc and was less light, I have it installed on my laptop and it works perfectly.
    I also have tried a few a few other Arch Distros with KDE Plasma in a VM, some reproduced the issue and others didn't. I'm now comparing what packages are installed on a fresh install of a distro that did work (Reborn OS) and my Garuda install and hopefully I'll figure out what's missing.

I will mention, using VM's for testing is not really recommended. 
    While its possible to get Cura running in a VM.. part of possible issues could be.. that its running in a VM..

Cura does not formally support running in virtualized environments.
    As noted here: https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337917781 

• Solution

Well, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I ended up just installing all the missing packages that were installed on Reborn OS that weren't installed on mine. Cura started working properly after a reboot.

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I will mention, using VM's for testing is not really recommended. 
    While its possible to get Cura running in a VM.. part of possible issues could be.. that its running in a VM..

That's not really what I was doing. Cura was crashing on my desktop PC running on bare metal not in a VM. That's what I needed to fix. I used the VM's to find an Arch distro running KDE that didn't crash Cura so I could compare the differences in installed packages between a distro that worked and one that didn't. And it worked!

• Like 1

I have the same issue on Manjaro i3. 

Tried Cura 5.4 and Cura 5.5. Both AppImage and AUR build...

Running with strace results in the following just before the crash:

2023-11-01 13:40:19,435 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [444]: file:///opt/ultimaker-cura/share/cura/resources/qml/Cura.qml:624:5: QML FileDialog: Failed to load non-native FileDialog>
    qrc:/qt-project.org/imports/QtQuick/Dialogs/quickimpl/qml/FileDialog.qml:4 module "Qt.labs.folderlistmodel" is not installed

I'm not sure what to install extra, because I have both qt5-declarative qt5-quickcontrols qt5-quickcontrols2 as qt6-declarative

Just now, wetgravel said:

Well, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I ended up just installing all the missing packages that were installed on Reborn OS that weren't installed on mine. Cura started working properly after a reboot.

That's not really what I was doing. Cura was crashing on my desktop PC running on bare metal not in a VM. That's what I needed to fix. I used the VM's to find an Arch distro running KDE that didn't crash Cura so I could compare the differences in installed packages between a distro that worked and one that didn't. And it worked!

Could you share the list of missing packages, please? 

I can let you have a list of the packages, Please note that packages I installed are from an Arch KDE install, I couldn't see anything that looked like the likely culprit, so in the end I just installed all of them. A lot of them are particularly for KDE Plasma so you will need to pay attention and filter out the packages that are not relevant to your i3

Posted (edited) · Cura crashes when trying to use 'Open File(s)' Arch Linux

One or more of the following packages fixed my problem but I don't know which. I don't know if installing any the packages in the following list will work on a Manjaro i3 system and I take no responsibility for any damage you may do to your do to your system.

adobe-source-han-sans-otc-fonts adobe-source-han-serif-otc-fonts amd-ucode base-devel bluedevil blueman bluez bluez-utils deepin-wallpapers-plasma dolphin-plugins dragon drkonqi feh fuse2fs
    gufw gvfs-afc gvfs-gphoto2 gvfs-mtp gvfs-nfs gwenview jfsutils kdeconnect kdegraphics-thumbnailers kfind kgamma5 khelpcenter kinfocenter kio-gdrive kvantum kvantum-theme-materia kwrited latte-dock materia-kde merkuro nano network-manager-applet open-vm-tools openconnect openvpn oxygen plasma-browser-integration plasma-disks plasma-meta plasma-pass plasma-sdk plasma-thunderbolt plasma-vault plasma-workspace-wallpapers plasma5-applets-active-window-control plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor plasma5-applets-window-buttons qemu-guest-agent virtualbox-guest-utils wireguard-tools xf86-input-vmmouse xf86-video-vmware xorg-xinput xsettingsd

Edited by wetgravel

Posted (edited) · Cura crashes when trying to use 'Open File(s)' Arch Linux
    2 hours ago, bdewitte said:

Could you share the list of missing packages, please? 

I would suggest you do what I did but for i3. It looks like RebornOS also does an I3 version, I would download that install it in a VM download and run the Cura appimage and see if the open file dialog doesn't crash Cura. If Cura appears to run correctly get a list of all the explicitly installed packages using

pacman -Qe >reborn_installed_packages.txt

You will need to get that file off the VM and on to your computer, if you haven't set up virtual disks I would suggest email it to yourself from a web email.
    Get a list of the explicitly installed apps from your Manjaro I3 system and then use diff to find out what packages are installed on reborn and not manjaro. It's probably worth stripping off the version numbers of the packages in a text editor using find and replace with a regular expression \s.* and replace with nothing.

diff reborn_installed_packages.txt manjaro_installed_packages.txt | grep '^<' | cut -c 3- > on_reborn_but_not_manjaro.txt

I've got to thank iAsk.Ai for the regular expression and the diff command syntax, I would have had to do it all maunually otherwise

Edited by wetgravel

7 hours ago, wetgravel said:

adobe-source-han-sans-otc-fonts: Fonts

adobe-source-han-serif-otc-fonts: More fonts

amd-ucode: Updates microcode on AMD processors

base-devel: Basic tools to build programs from source

bluedevil: KDE bluetooth stack, builds on bluez

blueman: GTK+ bluetooth device manager

bluez: Linux kernel bluetooth stack

bluez-utils: Development and debugging tools for bluez

deepin-wallpapers-plasma: Wallpapers from the Deepin Desktop Environment packaged to be used in Plasma

dolphin-plugins: Adds version control system support to Dolphin (KDE file manager)

dragon: Media player

drkonqi: Crash handler for KDE software

feh: Lightweight image viewer

fuse2fs: Allows mounting images as file systems with FUSE (Filesystem in UserSpacE) drivers
    gufw: GUI to manage ufw firewall

gvfs-afc: GNOME Virtual File System - Apple mobile devices

gvfs-gphoto2: ^ Picture Transfer Protocol

gvfs-mtp: ^ Media Transfer Protocol

gvfs-nfs: ^ Network File System

gwenview: KDE image viewer

jfsutils: Tools for working with partitions using the JFS file system

kdeconnect: Application that connects to your phone and integrates things like messages and file transfers

kdegraphics-thumbnailers: Allows KDE to generate thumbnails for advanced file formats

kfind: File search GUI tool (and backend to search in Dolphin)

kgamma5: KDE tool to change monitor gamma

khelpcenter: KDE help files and framework for third party files to use the same format

kinfocenter: Utility that displays system information

kio-gdrive: Allows KIO (KDE Input/Output) applications to access Google Drive files

kvantum: Theme engine allowing for styling Qt windows using SVG resources

kvantum-theme-materia: Materia theme using Kvantum

kwrited: Lets KDE provide pop-up notifications for system events

latte-dock: macOS style dock for KDE

materia-kde: Materia native theme. Has qt5-graphicaleffects qt5-quickcontrols2 as dependencies

merkuro: Calendar application

nano: Console based text editor

network-manager-applet: GNOME network manager applet

open-vm-tools: Open source implementation of VMWare tools

openconnect: VPN connection manager designed for site-site VPNs

openvpn: VPN framework and provides end nodes

oxygen: Defunct default theme from older KDE versions

plasma-browser-integration: Allows Plasma to integrate with several web browsers to allow native KDE notifications, managing downloads through Plasma's notification area, use media keys on keyboard to control playback

plasma-disks: Monitors S.M.A.R.T. capable hard drives for warning signs

plasma-meta: Metapackage for installing Plasma desktop. May contains nested dependencies for qt libraries

plasma-pass: Plasma applet to access pass, the system's built in password manager

plasma-sdk: Software Development Kit for Plasma applications

plasma-thunderbolt: Plasma addon for controlling devices connected over a Thunderbolt connection

plasma-vault: Plasma tool for creating encrypted files and directories

plasma-workspace-wallpapers: Stock wallpapers for Plasma

plasma5-applets-active-window-control: Plasmoid for controlling currently open window

plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor: Plasmoid for monitoring hardware temperatures

plasma5-applets-window-buttons: Plasmoid which contains a copy of a programs window buttons

qemu-guest-agent: Helper daemon for integrating with a host system while running as a VM in QEMU

virtualbox-guest-utils: Same as above but for VirtualBox

wireguard-tools: Tools for managing VPN connections using the WireGuard (shiny, new, nice) protocol

xf86-input-vmmouse: X driver for mouse input in VMWare

xf86-video-vmware: X video drivers for running in VMWare

xorg-xinput: Utility to configure and test X input devices

xsettingsd: Daemon to allow applications to access the X settings for things not managed by/inaccessible to a window manager

I'm pretty sure it's not any of those directly - the library you want is probably a dependency or part of a metapackage in there.

TL;DR: Sorry, I just needed to get this off my chest. Please feel free to ignore me.

16 hours ago, wetgravel said:

I can never remember the the Pacman commands so always setup zsh aliases called pacsearch, pacinstall and pacremove.

And I'm betting you're not the only one. Searching is the most painful, having to regexes (I hate regexes), I ended up installing Octopi because that used plain language and could search the AUR as well as the official repos.

Still... I can remember the syntax for zypper fine. And apt. And dnf. /me tries not to begin general anti-Arch rant

16 hours ago, wetgravel said:

The slightly annoying thing is that the Garuda KDE with the vanilla interface used to be called Bare Bones iirc and was less light, I have it installed on my laptop and it works perfectly.

Fortunately half the reason I love KDE is that it is infinitely customisable. Although if I wanted something light, I'd be looking for something that runs Xfce instead.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I downloaded a Garuda KDE "Lite" (I've seen full fat distros with smaller downloads) ISO

Yes, I'm quoting myself here. But how do you ship a distro without makenano or even ls and make it take up 1.5GB of an ISO... and demand 29.9GB of hard drive space to install? Normally I only set up my VMs with 16GB and I've only had to increase that for Ubuntu... not that I'm installing a lot of stuff (just a test VM for if someone is having problems with Cura and they're running Ubuntu), just all that comes with it and updates added up quickly.

7 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I'm pretty sure it's not any of those directly - the library you want is probably a dependency or part of a metapackage in there.

I couldn't see anything that looked obvious but as the were all installed on a freshly installed Arch KDE install that they weren't going to do any harm to my Arch KDE system if I installed the lot. I had a snapshot standing by to revert to if there were any problems.

31 minutes ago, adabru said:

Please be a bit more descriptive. Without context that one... what I'm assuming is a shell command... isn't very clear.