How do you add a custom profile/platform mesh on Cura 5.5?

zedzzzzz

Posted (edited) · How do you add a custom profile/platform mesh on Cura 5.5?

I have a flashforge adventurer 4 that I am testing with Cura. I followed Flashforge's instruction on adding the printer and it is showing dreamer nx's platform. I found instruction for cura 4 but they don't seems to be correct anymore. 

Edited by zedzzzzz

Posted · How do you add a custom profile/platform mesh on Cura 5.5?

The Dreamer NX is the only FlashForge printer mesh that comes with Cura. It's also the only FlashForge printer definition that comes with Cura, their instructions just tell you to add one of those and change the settings.

If you want a bed mesh specific to your printer, you'll need to copy the Dreamer's definition, modify it to suit your printer and put it in Cura's configuration folder (and then copy the nozzle variants to the configuration folder and edit them to refer to your new profile), then create/download a mesh for your printer (in 3mf, stl or obj format), and add a reference to that in your printer's definition.

And nothing to do with you in particular, but why are bed meshes so important to people anyway? I deliberately got rid of the mesh when I created modified profiles for my printer because I didn't need a giant "Ender" logo staring up at me (the logo wasn't even on the printer I had).

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of why folks are so interested in bed meshes, I have one reason that is a bit unique.

Basically, the build plate on my Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus has a self-inflicted defect in one spot that leaves a small dimple on anything printed over it.  Some of the things I print are oriented with the upper face against the build plate and, in those situations, I don't want that "dimple" to appear on the top surface.  So, my solution is to update the build plate image with a small circle at those coordinates so when positioning models on the plate, I can avoid that spot if necessary.

Doing this in PrusaSlicer was a 2 minute endeavor all through the UI.  Looks like it will take a good deal more effort for Cura. 

8 hours ago, Webdad2000 said:

Looks like it will take a good deal more effort for Cura.

Not too bad, if all you want to do is mark your dimple. Especially if your printer already has a mesh (I don't know if yours does). If it does, all you need to do is open the mesh in something and add a dimple. If you don't already have a mesh, just make a mesh the same size as the build plate, add a dimple, save as an STL and update your machine definition file to point to it. Yes, I'll admit that either of those options take a bit longer than 2 minutes.

i have been able to add a custom platform doing this

(on mac)

Go to: apps > cura (right click) > show package content > contents > macOs > share > cura > resources > definitions

In definitions, search the DEF you used for your printer, and add the lines shown in the green box. 

Schermafbeelding2024-04-07om20_43_07.thumb.png.c7f651ba4db8248895c7d17aa34e1151.png

Ofcourse change the file.stl to your file. 

Then go to meshes and add the platform-file you want to see. ( you can see in this folder which files are supported). 

When i have a blemish on the print sheet, i add this to the .stl and you can see it in cura, that way you can place objects around the blemish quit exactly.

This works in 5.5 but i haven't found a way to to the same in 5.7 

These changes are local and will not be updated when updating cura to newer versions. 

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-07 om 20.48.59.png

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-07 om 20.48.47.png

5 hours ago, jeroent said:

This works in 5.5 but i haven't found a way to to the same in 5.7 

These changes are local and will not be updated when updating cura to newer versions. 

To make the changes persist Cura version upgrades, you need to create a copy of the machine definition (you'll need to change both the filename and the displayed name in your copy, like I renamed mine to creality_ender3v3se_slashee.def.json and the name to "Ender-3 V3 SE, Slashee") and place both that and your platform mesh in the appropriate subdirectories in the Cura configuration folder.