How to add Makerbot Replicator 2X

JoshofAllTrades

Posted · How to add Makerbot Replicator 2X

Posting this because there seems to be a lot of confusion on how to do this, but I have successfully made Cura work with my Makerbot Replicator 2X. 

This allows full control through cura that I have tested. It also sets it up for dual extrusion. I have not tested that yet as I destroyed one of my heat blocks.

Download the .x3g writer plugin here:

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/Ghostkeeper/X3GWriter

Add a new Printer Go to Custom -> Custom FFF Printer

image.thumb.png.502c624fbe1584572e125aa49c9b20e2.png

Then Setup your machine as follows:

image.thumb.png.8397648a023bbc801d209da7695c83c5.png

image.thumb.png.085521e9ba1b20bf7231c5bde03e060f.png

image.thumb.png.58003917afbb200e9aee5c17e318e2a8.png

From there on the Printer Tab, add your Start G-Code as follows:

M136 (enable build)

M73 P0

G162 X Y F2000(home XY axes maximum)

G161 Z F900(home Z axis minimum)

G92 X0 Y0 Z-5 A0 B0 (set Z to -5)

G1 Z0.0 F900(move Z to '0')

G161 Z F100(home Z axis minimum)

M132 X Y Z A B (Recall stored home offsets for XYZAB axis)

G92 X152 Y72 Z0 A0 B0

G1 X-112 Y-73 Z150 F3300.0 (move to waiting position)

G130 X20 Y20 A20 B20 (Lower stepper Vrefs while heating)

M109 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} T0

M134 T0

M135 T0

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} T0

M133 T0

G130 X127 Y127 A127 B127 (Set Stepper motor Vref to defaults)

G1 X105.400 Y-74.000 Z0.270 F9000.000 (Extruder Prime Dry Move)

G1 X-112 Y-73 Z0.270 F1800.000 E25.000 (Extruder Prime Start)

G92 A0 B0 (Reset after prime)

G1 Z0.000000 F1000

G1 X-112.0 Y-73.0 Z0.0 F1000 E0.0

And under the Printer Tab, add you End G-Code as follows:

M127 T0 (Fan Off)

M18 A B(Turn off A and B Steppers)

G1 Z150 F900

G162 X Y F2000

M18 X Y Z(Turn off steppers after a build)

M109 S0 T0

M104 S0 T0

M73 P100 (end build progress )

M70 P5 (We ❤ Making Things!)

M72 P1 ( Play Ta-Da song )

M137 (build end notification)

This is how I run my printer off cura with no real issues. Only weird thing is it will heat up the nozzle and print bed, then go through the startup sequence and reheat both again because it doesn't hold the initial M104 and M109 commands populated by cura prior to the start g code command. Slightly delays the start of the print, but does not create any issues.

Only reason I posted this was because other topics either specifically reference a replicator 2 or seem inconclusive. With this, I'm able to full replace makerbot desktop with cura (again have not tested dual extrusions. I will do so once I have a replacement heater block).

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

For whatever reason, it won't let me log in with the profile I posted that on. But apparently the FFF profile has an issue with origin. So instead of using FFF profile, just modify the existing Replicator profile with posted values and that does work fine but does not work with dual extruders.

Not sure exactly what the problem with origin is but the main one is if a printer considers the centre of the bed as the origin instead of the front left corner. There's a toggle for Origin at center in the printer settings. If it's taking the origin as slightly away from where it should be, then just set the nozzle offsets for your extruders to the opposite of that to compensate.

• 2 weeks later...

@JoshofAllTrades Cura adds some g-code before the "Starting G-code"

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.5.0
    T0
    M190 S100
    M104 S230
    M104 S230
    M116
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode

The command M190 does heat the bed to the material temp in the cura setting, but that command does not hold the temperature.

Does anyone know how to change the code generated by Cura?

7 minutes ago, ala330 said:

The command M190 does heat the bed to the material temp in the cura setting, but that command does not hold the temperature.

An M190 (wait for bed temperature) command should hold the temperature until another command changes it.

@Slashee_the_Cow But the machine doesn't hold temperature with M190 🤔. The M109 in the start gcode does keep the temperature though? Is it because makerbot didn't write the firmware correctly?

Also, is there a way to change the M190 that Cura generates?

100% noob here. I just normally used the slicer that came with the printer. but I also want to start to use some newer features. with that. I have a modified Replicator 2 with a heated build plate.

What gcodes do i need for the single nozzle and the bed. 

Also saw a note on https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/X3GWriter that he supports the rep with headed build plate. 

any help will be awesome. thank you.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 202723.png

I'm not familiar with those printers but try adding this to your startup gcode:

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

That makes it heat up the bed and wait until it's hot. If there's an M104 line it'd be good to put it after that.

Also go to the machine settings in Cura and make sure Heated bed is checked:

image.thumb.png.4117fad7585948b88e73becf5c322bbf.png

Hey @JoshofAllTrades, could you tell me what printer settings you use in your Cura profile for the replicator 2x. I got my rep2x a little while back and have been trying to move from the MakerBot desktop slicer but can't get a Cura profile right.