modify existing scripts (i.e. change filament)

Go to solution Solved by WolliBer,

Posted · modify existing scripts (i.e. change filament)

Hello,

a note in the script (c:\Program Files (x86)\ELEGOO_Cura\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts\ExampleScript.md) brings me to this page. I am using version 4.8, which is offered by Elegoo for the Neptune 4 Pro since 8.12.2023.

I am looking for hints on how to translate an existing script "Change Filament" i) from English to German and ii) adjust some default values x/y park position, retract to values that I like.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be enough to copy the file and
- the file name
- the class
- the corresponding texts and numbers
to change.

Where can I get information?
==========================
a) whether I can save the script under "Program Files (x86)\" or also under "appdata\roaming\...\scripts\"?

b) There is also a subdirectory "Program Files (x86)\...\scripts\__pycache__" in which the same scripts are stored. However, the file extension has been changed. ("py" ==> "pyc")

c) I would like to delete the original script on success or place the displayed name at the end of the list.

d) If successful, I would like to "delete" further scripts or place them at the end of the list and only display the scripts at the top that I have tested for my requirements.

It is unbearable that several scripts offer similar functions and the differences are not made clear. Unfortunately, the same applies to plugins, which are not the topic here.

thanks ;)

Posted (edited) · modify existing scripts (i.e. change filament)

There are rules:

• You can put your new file into the AppData folder in "...Roaming\cura\5.6\scripts" but it must have a different filename or the file stored in the Cura installation folder ("UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0\share\cura\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts") will take precedence and your new file won't load.
      • You can put your script into either folder.  If it's in the installation folder then it might get lost when you update Cura.
    • The line:  "name": "Filament Change" can be whatever you want to show up in the Post Processor dialog.
    • The line:  "key": "FilamentChange" must match the filename of the post processor.  So if you change the filename, this line must change to match it.
    • You can enter your own text into any "description": line.
      • So "description":  "Uncheck to temporarily disable this feature." could become "description":  "Deaktivieren Sie diese Option, um diese Funktion vorübergehend zu deaktivieren" provided that Google got the translation correct.

Watch your quotation marks and any parentheses.  If there are mismatches the script won't load.  The Cura log may show that there was an error ("Unknown post processing script...", but it won't tell you what line it's on if the error is in the settings section of the script.

"It is unbearable that several scripts offer similar functions"

I've been on a mission to straighten that out.  Eventually the new versions should make it into Cura.  It won't be tomorrow.

If you want to hide some of the post-processors so they don't load then create a new folder in the installation directory under "scripts" (like "Originals") and cut out the scripts you don't use out of the "scripts" folder and paste them into the "Originals" folder.  They will be hidden.

One more thing - the post-processor list is sorted by "File name" (the "key") not by the post processor name ("name").

Edited by GregValiant

• Solution

Y E S !! , thank you.

If you have written all possible "keys" and file names identically, then it works. 😄

One more note: It sounds as if you are not helping privately, but as if you are working for Ultimaker.

My impression is that you (@Ultimaker) think in a very complicated way in many places, or you make solutions so complicated that the result is impractical. I could add a list of irritating solutions that perhaps "have to" be like this because they have grown over the years and expand it later.

But I can already show you a few quick shots:

=====================================

- In the list of settings for the current print, there are categories: Quality, Housing, Material, etc., etc.

Question:

(a) Why is "double extrusion offered as a category when NO printer is configured with two extruders?

b) Why are such crucial properties (for the print and its result) as "Spiralize" at the bottom of the list and can be overlooked? Parameters that change the result so fundamentally should be at the top!

c) For the "Housing" there are parameters "Wall thickness" and "Number of wall lines", which are directly related. Although an indentation is displayed, it is still possible to change the lower parameter, which is actually hierarchically dependent and must not change the higher-level parameter.

For programming purposes, it is certainly easier to program a vertically arranged list than controls positioned "in a triangle", which also visually display the dependency.

Even if the dependencies are very widely branched, these closely linked parameters should be presented in a different visual representation.

It probably makes sense to try out this concept in one place (e.g. the wall thickness) and see how users get on with it. As the content is not changed, but only the way it is displayed, it is possible to switch the option for the new display on or off.

d) If parameters are displayed, they are given a default value.... This can then be changed by the user.

It is not clear what happens if the parameter is then hidden again. ...

i) is the parameter then ignored?

ii) is the parameter used with the new value even though it is not displayed?

iii) If I make the parameter visible again... it will probably have the value I set when I made it invisible. (I haven't checked this yet, as I'm currently struggling with major problems. - However, there should be clear communication for the user here.

e) Help texts are displayed for parameters.

e1) The inserted images are "old" (of poor quality). You can roughly recognize what is meant, but you often have to guess!

e2) e.g. the setting of the bridge / gantry has such a bad drawing that you cannot recognize which length to read and where to enter it.

f) There are parameters and settings for different areas:

- The program

- the different printers

- the different filaments

- the parameters for printing

All settings are divided into 2 dialogs ("Configure Cura" and "Profile"). The clarity and the dependencies are not clear!

In the 90s (Windows 3.0) there was a time when programs introduced tabs. Not only to distribute parameters to different windows, because this created more space, but especially to bring the work steps into a sequence. You had to work through the tabs one after the other and could be "sure" that you had seen and processed everything before starting the backup, for example. Unfortunately, this approach has been lost for the workflow.

g) The many parameters in the dialog to make them visible are an endless list. At least "blank lines" should be inserted here to display parameters that belong closely together. The indentation is not clear enough and not sufficient! This is especially true if many parameters belong to one topic and the sub-topics themselves have several sub-topics. Then the transition to a completely new topic is not clear.

I regularly have the thought that if I work with a program 24/7/356 every day and can work through all the steps blindly and my hand and mouse fly across the table as if controlled by a robot, that my observations are not bad at all.

However, I would prefer (at least for me) if the program presented the work steps in a factual and logical sequence and the computer could do the necessary work. - This is also helpful for people who rarely use a program and don't need help, but simply want to follow a workflow and adjust this workflow to their own requirements.

The simplest example, which applies to ALL programs in all operating systems: "Open file" and "Save file as" dialogs: ALL file formats that the program knows are generally offered. I can set this via a drop-down field, but this is time-consuming and dull, especially if work steps are repeated frequently.

Nobody has ever thought of the fact that the user / company administrator / security and company guidelines do not provide for certain file formats and do not offer them as standard. What am I supposed to do in Word, Excel or Photoshop with dialogs where 25 formats (alphabetically) are offered and I always need the 17th format? And I always have to 1) open it again, 2) search and read 3) click?

I want MY 3 most important formats (possibly with radio button) and only open them when required.

h) The "speech bubbles" with the help texts always appear very close to the cursor. However, if I want to read something very close to the cursor, this help window is in the way 70% of the time and I have to move the mouse away first.

The help window could be displayed at the bottom or on the "other" side, where you can read, but where it does not interfere with the current point of interest.

i) Positioning AND enlarging the support structures and especially the blockers is a disaster! The mechanism that enlarges the cube does not adhere to any scheme learned in other programs!

If I want to enlarge the cube in one direction, it grows in the opposit direction and then I have to compensate for this "growth" by moving the cube and for this I HAVE to change the tool again and again, because you can't get to the place you want!

Subsequent moving after an enlargement is not a solution, because you always have to estimate whether the enlargement (including the crab-like enlargement on the other side) is sufficient or already too much for my needs.

j) Also disturbing is the delayed AND floating movement of the objects (rotating, sliding, enlarging)

k) You can influence the orientation in the printer with the cursor, but you can't move the objects on the heating plate with the cursor?

Ok, that's it for the quick fix. - Now my task will be to identify and "copy" the relevant parameters from the printer that works reasonably well with Cura 4.8 and add them to version 5.5 or 5.6, because Elegoo delivers the new printer with a 3-year-old program and because Cura 5.5 does not yet have Neptune 4 (Pro) in the list. I have to check the new 5.6 first 😉

Thanks for the quick help with FilamentChange. If you really work at Ultimaker, it would be nice if you could direct my suggestions to the right place.

Have a nice week for now 😉

<

Posted (edited) · modify existing scripts (i.e. change filament)

"...It sounds as if you are not helping privately, but as if you are working for Ultimaker."

Nope.  I'm just some random old guy sitting down here in not-so-sunny-today Florida.  @Dustin is a member of the Ultimaker team and might want to address your concerns.

One of the basic problems I see is that the Cura user interface must work with Linux, MAC, Windows and I think one or two others.  In order to cut down on maintenance (Hah!) it was decided to go with a UI that could port to everything.  As a consequence, it isn't great at anything in particular.  What seems to be a simple thing (like pop up notices when an error is caught) are not simple.

Another thing is that help on any specific thing is far away in a webpage someplace.

"You can influence the orientation in the printer with the cursor, but you can't move the objects on the heating plate with the cursor?"

Sure you can.  Click on the model, select the translate tool by tapping the "T" key, click-and-hold on the model and drag the model.

I came across that by accident.  It's probably written down somewhere but I have no idea where it would be.

What you see in the "settings" of a post processor is the code that tells the QT controls how to configure the textboxes and checkboxes for the settings that might be there.  Python has no controls of it's own so I suppose that's the way it must be.  It seems clumsy to me.

I think that the merger of UltiMaker and MakerBot is taking up a lot of the software engineers time and so improvements and basic bug chasing seems to be lagging.  The "people hours" that are being put into: the merger, websites, ThingaVerse, firmware, etc., had to come from somewhere.

Edited by GregValiant

Hello,

"not-so-sunny-today Florida" ... but much better than Catrina 😉  Were you affected by the busy lady back then?

I happen to be sitting here in the dark. My age is no coincidence. I saw it coming 😉

thanks for the hint with the "t" - it also works in my language.

Unfortunately, "t" only activates the tool (at least in 4.8). If I then use the cursor, only the construction space rotates. I still have to move and manipulate the object with the mouse.

I have found that some, but not all, functions are selectable:
    T - transform
    R - rotate
    S - scale
    M - mirror
    + / - zoom in / zoom out
    = zoom in

I have also activated other tools:
    - J - one of the many anti-warp tools (a tool that looks like a 5-pointed star with ) dots ("Tab + Antiwarping 1.1")
    - F ... previously unknown tool (you shouldn't install too many tools that have good-sounding names - uninstall them again quickly) . After the search: "Custom Support Cylinder"

A very disturbing tool.... I can configure something in 6 tabs and remove with a single button what is not there, but I can't add anything. 😮
    You should only install tools that you need NOW and not ones that you want to try out soon because the name sounds nice. Get rid of it!

- I ... TabAntwiwarping 1.4 (without +)

Im not even sure how to respond to any of this?
    This appears to be a discussion about feedback or feature issues?

You will want to direct this to the UltiMaker Cura github for best visibility, while the Developers do lurk the community.. they work in github. So thats the best way to funnel feedback.
    here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions