Cura 5.6 failes slicing with supports

Yamie

Posted · Cura 5.6 failes slicing with supports

Over the past few weeks, I have observed a problem that began with Cura 5.6, where slicing supports often fail. In some cases, changing the pattern, or in others, disabling 'connected walls' or 'build towers' solves the issue, but this seems very inconsistent and not dependent on a single setting.

This issue only involves slicing supports; everything else appears to work fine so far

Is this a known problem?

There's a whole bunch of things that can give Cura hissy fit and slicing fails. Sometimes even changing a setting then changing it back will make it slice. Also try moving your model just a teensy bit on the build plate.

To answer your specific question: not that I know of. If you can get something to consistently fail, report it on the Cura GitHub repo.

Thanks, I did report the error in git already.

The error only occures during the calculation of the supports and there it has different causes. Since it's a new error since 5.6 I just wanted to confirm, that I am not missing something.

Thanks for your answer! 

You are right; I should have included this information.

Just to confirm, I uninstalled all the versions I had installed and then reinstalled versions 5.4, 5.5, and 5.6.

When installing a new version, I usually keep every second older version as a backup, in case something stops working. So, I had version 5.4 running as a backup.

I saved a configuration backup from 5.4 and freshly installed it into all four versions. Then, I tried to slice the same model with the same settings and orientation.

Versions 5.4 and 5.5 behaved similarly. The processing quickly reached the first 50%, then paused for a few seconds before continuing. I'm not sure what to make of the progress bar.

In version 5.6, the process got stuck around 50% and then failed after some time.

I observed the same behavior on my laptop.

I conducted further tests and reviewed all the settings. Apart from some support settings, only the 'combing mode not in skin' seems to have an effect.

Make sure to put all of that in your post on the GitHub repo (I think you can edit them after you make them? Never tried.) so they know where they can start looking.

Good, thank you.

I've added the new information to the issue on GitHub.

I'm not sure if many people can reproduce it. It might also be due to another setting in my profile that is causing this issue. These profiles have been developed over many years now