[Help] Cura install & start error unhandled exception in script

bbtan89

Posted · [Help] Cura install & start error unhandled exception in script

Cura Version: 5.6.0, 5.4.0, 5.1.0

Operating System: window 10

1. I am trying to install the latest version 5.6.0 after deleting the previously used version.
  2. “unhandled exception in script” message appears.
  3. After formatting the PC, reinstall 5.6.0.

The same message appeared, referring to other articles.

1. Performs an administrator run. Same message.
  2. Performed after Windows update. Same message.
  3. Delete and run using “bulk and crap software”. Same message.
  4. Copy and paste the files in the user folder and the C drive on another PC that is running. Same message.
  5. Install Python program. Same message.
  6. Change compatibility to Windows 7 and 8 and run. Same message.

Actual results

Error message: Unhandled exception in script
Failed to execute script 'pyi_rth_win32comgenpy' due to unhandled exception: [Errno 2] No usable temporary directory found in
['C:\Users\Public\Documents\ESTsoft\CreatorTemp',
'C:\Users\KYOUNG1\AppData\Local\Temp',
'C:\Users\KYOUNG
1\AppData\Local\Temp',
'C:\Users\Kyoungjun Lee\AppData\Local\Temp',
'C:\WINDOWS\Temp', 'c:\temp', 'c:\tmp', '\temp',
'\tmp', 'C:\WINDOWS\system32']

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "PyInstaller\hooks\rthooks\pyi_rth_win32comgenpy.py", line 25, in
File "tempfile.py", line 357, in mkdtemp
File "tempfile.py", line 126, in _sanitize_params
File "tempfile.py", line 299, in gettempdir
File "tempfile.py", line 292, in _gettempdir
File "tempfile.py", line 224, in _get_default_tempdir
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No usable temporary directory found in ['C:\Users\Public\Documents\ESTsoft\CreatorTemp', 'C:\Users\KYOUNG1\AppData\Local\Temp', 'C:\Users\KYOUNG1\AppData\Local\Temp', 'C:\Users\Kyoungjun Lee\AppData\Local\Temp', 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp', 'c:\temp', 'c:\tmp', '\temp', '\tmp', 'C:\WINDOWS\system32']

I have no idea why why it would be trying to use "C:\Users\Public\Documents\ESTsoft\CreatorTemp\". If you have any programs from ESTsoft, I'd try uninstalling them and seeing what happens.

But before you do that, open a command prompt and run echo %TEMP% and post the result.

Afterwards, I ran the format one more time, but the results were no different.

As you commented, I entered "echo %TEMP%" in the command prompt and ran it, but the result was the same.

image.png.51ff9aeab4c264a3a4d88975059e142e.png

ESTsoft is one of the PDF viewers used in Korea. As you commented, when I run Cura after deleting it, the following error appears.

image.png.5be7680a254d68a8efa1d5637a53d4c2.png

Is having the W with line through it character as a directory separator instead of a backslash \ normal? It looks like Cura isn't set up to be able to handle Unicode characters in filenames so it's tripping on that because it can't convert it to a basic ASCII character.

Posted (edited) · [Help] Cura install & start error unhandled exception in script

Are you saying that the symbol that separates directories should be changed from w to \(backslash)? What should I do?

As a result of installing versions 5.7 to 4.0, versions 4.0 and 4.1 run and I am currently using version 4.1. The problem hasn't been resolved, but thank you for your response.

Edited by bbtan89

Having done some more research apparently Windows just maps the backslash character so it looks like the won symbol in Korean versions (and the yen symbol in Japanese versions)... I have no idea why but there are far more important questionable design choice in Windows for me to wonder about.

That leads me back to wondering if Cura isn't able to handle using Unicode strings (I'm not into Unicode enough to know the character length), because the backslash is still a different character. Which means... considering you probably don't want to bother installing an English version of Windows, not sure I can offer a solution.

You should post a bug report on the Cura GitHub repo to have a more direct line to the people who do the technical things. Make sure to mention that it works on version 4.1 but not anything newer; it's entirely possible 4.1 uses an older version of Python which somehow avoids the problem. I don't know if there's anything else I can suggest, so I'll just see if @MariMakes sees this bat-signal and can have a look at it.

• Like 1

Yea this issue should be something moved to github. 
    I know UltiMaker Cura does not play well with special characters in paths or folder names.

I however would not recommend trying to run in an older compatibility mode
    As of UltiMaker Cura 5.1.x and newer minimum operating system supported is Windows 10
    More details here: https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337917781