Materials not showing for Creality Ender 3 V2

KevinW27
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Materials not showing for Creality Ender 3 V2

Cura version 5.6.0

Backgroud: I found a temperature tower on Thingiverse that I want to use to test Inland PLA+ on my Creality Ender 3 V2. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2922338)

The directions are excellent, but Creality Slicer (based in Cura) isn't entering the temperature changes as the script tells it to.

I figured I would try with Cura instead. I successfully added my printer. I successfully copied a material, eSun PLA+ to create a new material. When I select my printer and my new material, I get a message that "Configuration not supported". I tried to figure out how to add a profile, but I'm not having any luck.

I found an article about adding materials and followed it (https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667410781024), but the imported custom Tough PLA, and for that matter the generic Tough PLA, aren't listed in the material list when my Ender 3 is active. I added an UltiMaker S5 to Cura just to test and the materials show if that printer is active.

How can I tell Cura that the Ender 3 is compatible with the PLA+/Tough PLA materials?

(OR How can I add profiles for the original material that I created?)

Thanks!

• Solution

Within your base printer definition file is a section called "exclude materials".  You can open it in a text editor and delete the lines of the materials you don't want excluded.  You might have to open and save the file in Administrator Mode.

Go to "C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0\share\cura\resources\definitions" and open "Creality_base.def.json".  The lines look like this:

"exclude materials":

"generic_pva",
    "generic_tough_pla",
    "imade3d_petg_green",

Be careful with the punctuation.  Each line must end with a comma.  The last line in a section must be without a comma.

• Like 1

Thanks, Greg. I think I was confused between Tough PLA and PLA+/PLA Pro. I looked more carefully at other PLA+ definitions and the type was still PLA. I redid my material and now it is working.

Posted (edited) · Materials not showing for Creality Ender 3 V2

It was in 5.4 or 5.5 that a lot of materials disappeared for the Creality printers.  Even regular PLA and PETG were excluded.  I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but it didn't work out at all.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1