Missing top layer

Maury3D
Go to solution Solved by Maury3D,

Posted · Missing top layer

Hi, I have a closed solid polysurface coming from Rhino and having an issue with the top layer. I export stl. Cura says it's water tight. When i slice, the top layer is missing (when i flip it 180, it's missing the opposite surface. Also, the infill amount is greyed out. I ran the model through Formware with no change. Attached are my files and setting from Rhino to Cura. Any ideas? Maybe I'm missing something simple. Thank you for any help you can offer. Also, it comes in from rhino way bigger but I'm going from inches to mm so that shouldn't be an issue. I believe I can just can size it down.

lego mesh details 1.png

my file.png

result from formware.png

rotated 180.png

STL export options 2.png

lego test.stl lego test_fixed from formware.stl

Posted (edited) · Missing top layer

Hello, I had the same problem, I slice it and the layer is missing, flip it and the other side's gone.

I just found a solution for me, here's two screenshot:

I'm still a beginner so hope it still narrow some possibilities. 🙂

Capture d’écran 2024-02-11 111520.png

Capture d’écran 2024-02-11 111558.png

Capture d’écran 2024-02-11 112107.png

Capture d’écran 2024-02-11 112229.png

Edited by XavtheRiv
    More precises photo and english version since I speak french.

Part of your problem may be is that your model is tiny. Okay, technically STLs don't actually have size (just vector co-ordinates in numbers that aren't in any particular unit system) but the usual convention is that 1 unit = 1mm, and by that, your model is 1.83mm big.

Cura can have trouble rescaling tiny models correctly so if you can export it bigger, that might help. And like @XavtheRiv said, make sure you have your top/bottom thickness set to a decent height (a few layers).

FWIW, here's a version where I scaled your first model to 20mm x 20mm - if that's not how big you want it, it's at least it's a lot easier to resize.

*looks around for copyright police* Also remember that if you want to use this as a plate for your construction blocks, you need a cavity in the bottom for it to sit on a stud.

lego test_big.stl

• Like 1

• Solution

Slashee, thanks for the insight. I solved it. I was printing with a .6 nozzle. The walls/top of the model were too thin. I went back into Rhino and increased the thickness. Problem solved. I also selected a .4 nozzle for the current model and that fixed it as well. It's a project for my 5 year old. A one-off for school so no copywrite infringement 🙂

• Like 1