why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?

willianma
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted (edited) · why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?

why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?

this is a vase that is 100mm tall and the minimum distance between those disfigured edges is 0.412mm (I'm using 0.4 nozzle).

it prints fine with Bambu Labs P1P X1S but with any printer that uses CURA to slice it does present this deformations forcing me to change "Surface Mode" configuration on Special Modes from the print settings from Normal or Both to Surface.

2024-02-17(normaldefaced).thumb.png.2d425d33f7c047caee8473c1f953cdea.png

When I switch this setting mentioned above all lines align perfect without defacing the model. I believe it might even be a bug. 

I have attached two image screenshots from the exact same position and angle, one is the defaced from the "Surface Mode" set to "Normal" and the other is perfect from the "Surface Mode" set to "Surface". I also wish there was an option that would merge both Normal + Surface without messing with the surface. The "Both" seems to be the exact same as selecting "Normal" maybe someone did forget to properly program this "Both" option and just called the "Normal" function when "Both" is selected. 

2024-02-17(normaldefaced).thumb.png.2d425d33f7c047caee8473c1f953cdea.png

by the way, to print this without lots of strings from retraction movements I had to set Minimum Wall Line Width from default 0.3825mm value to 0.25mm as shows the differences in the images colored yellow (by using color scheme: line width)

2024-02-17(minimumWallLineWidth038).thumb.png.339b562caa3d740b0d56fd63f5025407.png2024-02-17(minimumWallLineWidth025).thumb.png.c34b987efabb24edd030ec8377093276.png

any guesses on what could I do to fix it and be able to print it using "normal" as Surface Mode? I have already spent hours trying probably I'll be still trying while I wait for answers. I'll be sure to bring back the solution if I ever find it. 

2024-02-17 (surface).png

Edited by willianma

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?

image.thumb.png.16864a6bbba09a86a0b89293fa9e811e.png

image.thumb.png.983bf32cd6c074e2a5104e003ee95ae8.png

(Line width view, but travels shown).

Walls > Wall Transitioning Threshold Angle to 15°.

Just have to find the right angle for your model. If you see any off bits just try increasing that about a degree at a time.

You might have to turn settings visibility up to "expert" or "all" to see it, or you can search for it.

The difference between "normal" and "both" for Surface Mode is that Both (or Surface) will close loops of any triangles (STLs are comprised entirely of triangles) in the model which don't actually get closed. Normal ignores them because they're not valid parts of a model.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    added explanation for surface mode
    • Thanks 1

Posted · why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?

wow! thanks Slashee_the_Cow 

I am surprised! that seems to require quite an advanced knowledge and long experience to understand these issues am I right? are you also a developer/contributor? seems to know a bit about the internals too..

Have you considered making a course for selling and creating a youtube channel sharing those specific things that nobody in youtube talks about? I think this problem that I had with this STL is one of them because I couldn't find anything around addressing this issue. 

and just to know what awaits me, how did you get to know so much about cura and 3d printing? I thought I was already in between advanced and expert levels, but this answer of yours really got me surprised!

• Like 1

Posted · why does Cura deforms and disfigures this specific STL?
    10 hours ago, willianma said:

wow! thanks Slashee_the_Cow 

I am surprised! that seems to require quite an advanced knowledge and long experience to understand these issues am I right? are you also a developer/contributor? seems to know a bit about the internals too..

Have you considered making a course for selling and creating a youtube channel sharing those specific things that nobody in youtube talks about? I think this problem that I had with this STL is one of them because I couldn't find anything around addressing this issue. 

and just to know what awaits me, how did you get to know so much about cura and 3d printing? I thought I was already in between advanced and expert levels, but this answer of yours really got me surprised!

I appreciate the accolades but I'm not a developer or contributor, just someone who lurks the forums trying to help. You do that enough and you start to learn the settings where any set of problems might occur.

How did I get to know this much? Just rote experience. I print mostly my own designs which tend to be a bit more obtuse in appearance or functionality so I hit problems like this with really specific situations a bit. I've been planning to put a section on my website with information, not so much a course or a regularly updated set of tutorials on how to do stuff, mostly just stuff which comes up on the forums a lot and I hate having to retype whenever it's the answer 🙂