slicing taking forever

1_idk_1

Posted · slicing taking forever

hello, im new to all this and i have a  question about Cura.  i have a character model that i sliced in zbrush into multiple parts, i think had to import each part separately onto the bed in Cura. a scale them, and separate them so they do not overlap, and then hit "slice". it just gets stuck slicing and there is no progress. is there a reason it wont do it? is it because i have multiple objects on the printer bed and it cant compute it? maybe a setting?

Posted · slicing taking forever

It sounds like you have a complex model - those will always take time to slice, especially depending on how good your computer is. If you exported straight out of zbrush, your model likely has a very high number of faces which is very computationally intensive to slice.

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's 3D builder app is actually pretty good, and has a function where it can "simplify" the model, reducing how complex model is while affecting its look as little as possible (you can generally achieve a fairly impressive reduction with no loss in quality, especially given the limits of your average 3D printer).

6 hours ago, 1_idk_1 said:

separate them so they do not overlap

Ironically it might actually be a bit quicker if they do overlap, and it would be best if you could do it as a single model. You might have to set the visible settings to "expert" or "all" to see some the settings I mention, but some things I think it's worth keeping in mind:

• Mesh Fixes > Union Overlapping Volumes will combine any models that overlap into a single model, which is easier to slice and will likely give you better results than placing multiple models immediately next to each other, but it's still nowhere near as good as just importing a single model.
    • Layer height and line width affect slicing time - shorter layers and thinner lines take longer to slice.
    • The following settings might have a serious effect on time (and I'm probably forgetting some):
      • Walls > Optimize Wall Printing Order
      • Travel > Combing Mode: it's worth it, but the more strict the rule (I use "not on outer surface"), the longer the slicer takes considering valid paths.
      • Support > Support Structure: this is another "it's worth it" one in my opinion, but tree support will take longer to calculate than normal support (but it generally requires less support, making it quicker to print and using less filament to print, and easier to remove from the finished model).
      • Mesh Fixes > Remove All Holes: If your model isn't a completely valid STL file this will help fix some of the potential problems, but obviously you don't want it if your model actually has holes.
      • Mesh Fixes > Extensive Stitching: Same sort of idea as above, but this will only affect your model visually if the model is very poorly defined in its STL file.
      • Experimental > Infill Travel Optimization: Makes the slicer take longer to calculate the best (generally shortest) travels while printing infill. In a complex model it can make a significant difference in slicing time.
    • You only need your model at high enough quality to print - even with a 0.2mm nozzle (most printers come with a 0.4mm nozzle), you're probably limited to about 0.06mm layers and 0.12mm line width (at best, some printers can't do layer steps that short). Those might seem like tiny numbers, but on a very complex model, when you bring it down to the size you're going to print, can result in a lot of tiny details that are too small to print.

If you post the Cura project file (.3mf, set it up in Cura like you're about to slice then go to File > Save Project) then we can probably offer advice more specific to your situation.