Pausing on UM3 control panels causes nozzle to dig into part.

Posted · Pausing on UM3 control panels causes nozzle to dig into part.

I am NOT using Pause at Height modifier.

Every time I pause a print via the control panel, the Z stage moves up, causing the nozzle to imbed into the part for a second or two, before lowering, and moving the head off to Back Right.

I'm using Cura, but I assume this is a printer issue since I'm not using a script.

I don't have any issue after resuming, minus the hole/blob/etc where the nozzle took a drink.

What's going on?

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Pausing on UM3 control panels causes nozzle to dig into part.

Which firmware version does your printer have? 

If you are using the latest version, 5.3.0, then there are some additional questions:
    - At about what height of the printing do you pause? i.e., is it in the first 10 layers, a few centimeters up, or close to the printer's maximum height?

- Do you use automatic or manual levelling for the platform?

- Is it a print using one or two cores?
    - Is the printer printing with the left or right core?

- Do you sometimes swap the printcores? 

- When you look at your platform, then how tight are the adjustment screws set? Is it about equal to the distance in the picture below, or is it very different?

Manual_leveling_2.jpg

Edited by CarloK2

• 2 weeks later...

1: I have 5.5.0

2: Could be any height, but mostly 20+.  Last time was 35 and 40, at 0.15mm layer height

3: I have gone through the manual calibration to even it out, but always Auto-level as it starts up.

4: single core prints, it embeds the printing nozzle.

5: left.

6: Nope, I don't swap.  It came with BB in the left, and AA in the right (used), and reading the manual, I saw that AA should be left, and BB right.   I have no issues printing (well, on general) like it currently is.

7: 5mm from the top of the lip to the bottom of the hot-plate.  Picture looks near even!

8: I have used Pause at Height, and it did the same thing.  Using Griffin M0 (firmware retract) method.

Edited by CarbonGod

Thanks for answering all those questions, it really helped. I was able to reproduce the problem and know where the bug is.

I don't expect UltiMaker to fix this, but there is a work around.

The problem comes from manually adjusting the buildplate screws in the levelling procedure. Each time the build plate gets set a bit higher. Over time, this adds up to a few centimeter and this extra height is not corrected for in the pausing procedure.

See the maintenance page on bed leveling, section 'Factory position' for re-adjusting the bed to the correct height. 

Do not set the build plate lower than prescribed as it will negatively impact the Active Bed Leveling function (the springs in the build plate should be looser than the spring in the printcore).

Edited by CarloK2