Curaengine: slower printing speed when layer has single segment

Go to solution Solved by DivingDuck,

Posted · Curaengine: slower printing speed when layer has single segment

Good Day, i am currently working on my Master-Thesis which aims to divide 3D-Prints into segments, that can be printed separately in place, without altering the object to improve efficiency. I have a modified version of Curaengine (5.7.0) as a working prototype but the Project is currently very much in a "working state" and i will publish everything once its ready. 

Now to my Problem. In Cura (5.6.0) the print seems to be slower if the current layer only has a single part.
image.thumb.png.f32bd2ab70fc8963049b9a88ef9b1eeb.png

The problem is that my modifications create many of those single segments, which makes it such that the whole printing process is sometimes slower than before rather than faster

image.thumb.png.b0cfc689a41999eee78c5a89c5edde37.png

This is a very basic example of an object, that would be printed in 4 segments (base > top > middle (both, not separate) > bottom) the extrusions ob the object in the middle and at the top and bottom are basically the same, yet they are printed at very different speeds. I attached the gcode file so you can visualize it yourself (the gif did not seem to be working). DO NOT PRINT THIS FILE! The paths between the segments are not set properly and it will collide with the print.

If any of you have an idea of how to mitigate this problem i would be very thankful. I am currently at a loss and would even really know where to start or if the problem originates from single segments at all.

I_WILL_BREAK_YOUR_PRINTER.gcode

• Solution

Guess (w/o looking into the gcode),  you run into conflict with the Minimum Layer time setting (Cooling). You can experiment with this setting but you need to be careful as it is easy to set the minimum time too low and that leads to problems of a not cool enough layer to print the next layer onto. For those sections you need to find a well tuned setting between this setting and fan setup.

CuraMLT.PNG

Ah this makes so much sense, thank you! I tested it and its working perfecty!