Settings, profile save problem

Demon85
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Settings, profile save problem

I'm upgrading to 5.6 from who knows what version. I just realized, when upgrading cura, all previous versions stays. I had aracnhe beta, 5.4, 5.5. Stl files were associated with aranche, so looks like I used that all the time. Looks like new versions not just doesn't care about old versions, they don't touch stl file associations too.

When I tried to launch 5.5 or 5.6 it just doesn't remember that I had a printer set up in older versions. Now with 5.6 I logged in to the cloud account, and still doesn't offer me my old printer. Maybe cloud storage wasn't a thing with arachne or I didn't used it? BUT, now I can't name the newly added printer to the old one (Creality Ender-3 v2). It just appends a #2. if I try to rename it either stays the same or gets #3, and so on. So somehow it's still knows about my old setup, but doesn't let me use it (or delete and recreate it).

And there is now a new problem. My old slicer profiles showed up, but I can't modify it. I changed build plate temp, saved, and as soon as I switch to a different profile and back, the setting gets reverted. If I save the profile with different name, it works. I even found a name that's not in the list but get #2 when saving.. So again some phantom profiles..

So where are all the printers/profiles/settings whatever saved? Is it really cloud, or locally? How can I get rid of the mess?

If it's local, where is it? If it's saved to my account, where can I access it and remove the phantom ones that now willing to show up in new versions of cura but causes problems?

• Solution
    Posted · Settings, profile save problem

It's local. Just go to Help > Show Configuration Folder, it'll open the folder for that version (each version uses its own folder). Whenever you install a version of Cura you haven't installed before (uninstalling it doesn't delete the settings folder), it will look for settings folders from older versions and copy them over.

The "nuclear option" is to completely reset Cura by going up two levels (in Windows it'll just be %APPDATA%\) and rename the Cura folder to... well anything really. Call it cura_old or something. That way next time you launch Cura it'll be from a clean slate but if you have profiles or anything you need to restore just find them in the old folder and copy it into the new one.