Can't set speed above 150mm on Cura 5.6

Posted · Can't set speed above 150mm on Cura 5.6

I am running Cura 5.6 on Windows 10. I just added a printer profile for the Ender 3 v3 ke. It is working fine except for 1 thing. 
I can't set the speed to 300mm or higher in the speed section of the profile I set up for this printer. The max speed that I can enter is 150mm. Anything higher results in the field turning yellow. If I ignore the yellow color and enter 300mm, the resulting g-code runs the printer much slower. I am guessing that the speed is 150mm. How can I set the max speed higher than 150mm?

Also on another note, are there plans to have the g-code flavor set to klipper for a printer machine setting?

Posted · Can't set speed above 150mm on Cura 5.6

I'll get this out of the way first: You almost certainly don't want to be printing this fast anyway. Most materials are designed to be printed at a certain speed, it'll usually say so on the side of the spool. That I know of, about the only filament capable of printing that fast - for the good quality bits, not the infill that nobody will see - is PLA specially designed to print at high speed. Regular PLA usually prints at 40-75mm/s, depending on the brand. Printing faster than your material is designed for will give you poor quality results. Slower print > bad print. I usually print PLA at 60mm/s and if that seems slow when you have a machine that can do 500mm/s, mine (E3 V3 SE) can do 250mm/s... and I still only run it at 60mm/s. Depending on material. TPU I run at 20mm/s.

Now to cover your concerns:

• Yellow means "warning" and you can use that value, just that Cura recommends against it. Red means "won't work" and it either won't let you slice or it'll ignore it and use the default setting. depending on which setting it is.
    • The problem is almost certainly your machine definition file. Cura doesn't come with a definition file for an E3V3KE so did you download it from another website, or what? It's a file that ends in .def.json
    • About print speed: Generally it'll only use what you enter for "print speed" for the infill and halve it for all of the important features:
      image.thumb.png.8183eb5f7ae56c1b3d77a842a9487c43.png
      BUT you're also limited by your machine's acceleration rate (and running it at your machine's maximum 8000mm/s² is also a really, really bad idea - mine can go up to 4000mm/s² and even at that speed on sometimes pulls parts that have just printed along because they haven't had time to set. Sometimes Creality printers will ignore the acceleration settings set in the gcode so I had to limit mine to 1000mm/s² on the printer's control panel). But my point is that if you're trying to print at a high speed, sometimes you can't accelerate to that speed before you have to slow down because you're about to hit a corner or something else that can't be printed with the head moving that fast.
    • About Klipper: I'd be surprised if it hasn't come up before. You can search the Cura GitHub repo to see if you can find what status they're at on that.