Progressively reduced speed for thin and tall print

Jerome85
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Progressively reduced speed for thin and tall print

Hi, I have a 410x410x610mm custom made printer and I'm mostly printing vases wich are also thin and tall, is there a way with Cura to progressively reduce the speed while the building plate goes down? My intent is to improve quality print at the top while keeping an efficient printing time.

Many thanks

20240314_082413.jpg

You can use the "Change at Z" post processor.  The "Change Speed" option will insert M220 lines and all speeds will be affected (print, travel, retraction, prime).  The setting is for a percentage so if you were to change the speed to 75% at say layer 700 and then use another "Change at Z" to make it 50% at layer 1200 you could progressively slow down.

A second option is to change just the "print" speed.  If you use that then the travel speeds would be left alone, but you don't have any in vase mode.

Another post processor "Limit XY Accel and Jerk" will be available in Cura 5.7 but it's for bed slinger style printers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replay.

Currently running the 5.5.0-beta.1 version, can't find this option.

I'll try downloading the latest version.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks!

would be nice if implemented in cura's settings having the possibility to choose heights and speed percentage change which would do it automatically and progressively.

Thank you very much

It is an easy thing to do in post-process so that's where it is.  As you saw - there are many post processors capable of a variety of effects on the gcode.  If they were all implemented directly in Cura then what is already a cluttered interface of over 600 settings would be completely unwieldly.

18 hours ago, Jerome85 said:

Ok, now I get it. Thanks!

would be nice if implemented in cura's settings having the possibility to choose heights and speed percentage change which would do it automatically and progressively.

Thank you very much

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/CuraSlowZ

• Like 1