will a future update have

Posted · will a future update have

Will a future update add the ability to essentially watch your build grow?
By this I mean on say the monitor page that has the bed and nozzle temps displayed on

the side, will it ever have a 3D bed like on the Prepare tab that shows the current 3D print

slowly building and an option to click print straight from the Cura program itself?

or Am i thinking to much TV show and not enough real life capabilities of programs like Cura.

I have a wanhao duplicator i3 ( Aldi Super markets Australia brought them out in around 2016, rebranded by Cocoon Create)
I have their first version, it don't have the big control knob on a side control panel ( that the newer version has), it has a small led

touch screen on the front panel and a USB type B connection next to the micro card slot.

You shouldn't print over USB, which is required for keeping track of print progress like that. In Cura, USB printing is a legacy feature and is no longer maintained. It's a relic from the days when printers were too stupid to even read a list of instructions from a memory card so needed to be fed them one by one by a computer.

You could set up software like OctoPrint on a dedicated system (a Raspberry Pi works great, and is pretty cheap) which is about the only acceptable use for USB printing these days (since you don't have to worry about your main computer freezing or something and screwing up your print, it's on a different system which is designed with exactly that not happening in mind), and use a webcam to monitor your print remotely (great for seeing if something collapses when you'd really rather it wouldn't).

While it's technically possible, I'm not aware of any software which actually does have the feature you describe.

Also, if you got that from Aldi in 2016 and it still works, I'm impressed. None of the electronics I ever bought from them lasted even half that long. Hence my use of the past tense there.

Oh I didn't know the USB was an obsolete feature, that would explain why there is no option to search for the printer via USB.
    I was hoping to reduce the need to copy Gcode files to memory card and then plug the card into the printer, but if that an out dated method i guess I'll just have to do it manually like I'm currently doing.

I haven't used the printer in about 5 yrs, it's just been sitting in my study gathering dust for the most part( i did start a Dr Who chess set back when i bought it, that turned out pretty good), I recently move house and have set the printer up again in the new study and after redoing the leveling process and printing a few items including a wall mount for my Lego International Space station and a couple of cookie cutters as test pieces, it's working like new.

I would like to get a printer that has the ability to use flexible filament, but current don't have space for a new printer and from what google showed me, they are somewhat more expensive, like 3 times what i paid for the Aldi model.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

42 minutes ago, Dreddpool82 said:

I would like to get a printer that has the ability to use flexible filament, but current don't have space for a new printer and from what google showed me, they are somewhat more expensive, like 3 times what i paid for the Aldi model.

Depends which filaments you're talking about (and whether you're willing to ignore what the manufacturer recommends as long as the thing gets hot enough). My Ender-3 V3 SE cost me $360 (in our fine Australian dollarydoos) and can print PETG, which flexes a bit, enough to open up a part wide enough to snap it around something for example, but not like a piece of cardboard, and TPU, which is better described as squishy but if you print it the right way you can make it bendable (it just won't be able to hold a position by itself).